Hickory/cherry smoked deer heart

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
We eat venison all during the year cooked and smoked different ways however, I don't think I am saving a deer heart or deer liver any time soon. Just me.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
My favorite part of the deer! Usually fry it, but that sounds wonderful. Had to laugh at the question about what it was like. Last week I was in Vegas for work. We went to a Mexican restaurant, and I saw tongue on the menu. I thought what the heck and ordered it. My boss asked what it was like, and I said it was like heart. That was probably the best Mexican dish I ever had.

Looks Great, CM !!!
WE used to save all of our Hearts, unless shot up too bad. And Liver & Kidneys too.
I haven't had any in a few years.
Like.

Bear

That looks like one tasty heart! Been seeing it on carousel by mine wasn't working until tonight so I could finally see your post.
Gonna have to give that a try, we have always just boiled them with seasonings and ate cold on sammies. Did the tongue like that once but too much work for such little meat.
First time I told the fellas to save the hearts they looked at me like I was loco!
Big like!

Ryan

Dang that does look delicious. Would have been a good idea, but I cleaned up 2 of them and sliced about 3/4" thick, and froze. Will fry up with some onions, garlic, salt and pepper and a little red wine. They are much better fresh. If the wife gets her doe, may have to try smoking. She won't eat it but I love it.
Like...

Awesome looking deer heart crazymoon! I've grilled a bunch, never smoked one though. I see you trimmed some of the fat. Did you also trim the valves too?

I too save the hearts and will ask friends if they want the heart from the deer they shoot. It is an underrated cut on a deer....

Awesome looking deer heart crazymoon! I've grilled a bunch, never smoked one though. I see you trimmed some of the fat. Did you also trim the valves too?

I too save the hearts and will ask friends if they want the heart from the deer they shoot. It is an underrated cut on a deer....
IDS, I do trim the valves out before smoking,try smoking one for something different.

Cleaned up the deer heart from my recent muzzle loader buck.
20191218_115034.jpg

Rubbed with some avocado oil and some Meat Church All Purpose
20191218_115312.jpg
Couple
Covered for a couple hrs and then into the new Stampede with some tators, onions, and carrots and couple leftover maters( My green pepper didn't look so good , so passed) Also Seasoned with some Meat Church and minced garlic.
20191218_150520.jpg

240° for 3 hrs to internal temp of 142°, using Rec Tec's Ultimate Blend pellets.
20191218_170447.jpg

Plated but missing the greens, so we had a side salad.
20191218_170545.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky