Hi Mountain Cure

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

deffman

Original poster
Apr 13, 2019
I am new and this is my first post. I have followed this board for several years but have never sighed up or posted until now. For a few years I had been using Hi Mountain seasoning kits to make jerky from ground beef. A few months back I finally got a Lem 468 Jerky Cannon that came with the Backwoods seasoning. I liked the seasoning so I bought the larger package that would make 25 pounds. I have always done my batches using 4 pounds of ground beef, so going off the package it called out 1/4 tsp per pound of meat. After the 4th batch I was all out of the cure. I had 2 bags of the Hi Mountain cure left over the years. Seemed like there was always to much of that cure in each kit for what was called out to use in ground beef so over time I accumulated a few bags. Anyways, Hi Mountain calls out 1 Tbs and 1 Tsp for 2 pounds. For some reason I had in my head that it was for 1 pound so I doubled the cure at 2 Tbs and 2 Tsp for 2 lbs. Jerky came out very salty. Question I have is that Jerky safe to eat? Also, the jerky was made using a Ronco dehydrator and took around 20 hours.

I don't think the amount of cure will kill you, if you don't mind the salt. maybe some of the jerky pros can help you with trying to get some of the salt out, if there is a way i'm sure someone on smf knows.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky