Hi and a few questions for a cinder block smoker build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kiwi-q

Original poster
Jul 9, 2017
Hi

My name is Gordy and I'm an American living in New Zealand. I'm new to the forum. I have a few questions about building a cinder block smoker. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Last summer I built a concrete patio with an Argentinian Parilla on it.

My project this summer is to add a smoker. Ive decided to go with a vertical cinder block smoker similar to the one that was posted here a while back on a thread called "ugly build" ( I thought it was beautiful...). I'm going with cinder block because it will look perfect aesthetically with the parilla and patio ( and Ive got access to a bunch of affordable cinder blocks!).

I was wondering....

With NZ being so wet, how long do you think it will take to dry out the blocks every time I use it so as to get it up to temp? Ive got tons              of hardwood so fuel is not a problem. 

Im planning to line the firebox with fire brick. Should I also line the smoke chamber with firebrick?

Also, I'm thinking I should fill the cavities in the cinder blocks with something. Concrete, sand or some other sort of insulation?

Im sure I haven't thought of something........ any input would be great!

Cheers Gordy

Thanks Dave.

Gives me some ideas. I'm stuck with the vertical  ( smoke chamber over fire box) design due to space constraints. I think I should be able to use some of those features on my smoker though.....very helpful

cheers G

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky