Hi all from the Western Shore

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

devgnoll

Original poster
Mar 19, 2017
Hi all, 

New member here from the sunny Western Shore of MD.  Just taking up the habit, got a new OK Joe, sealed it up nice,  did a one smoke, bought a Maverick, did another smoke, extended the exhaust down to the grate and  did one more. 

First smoke took a lot longer than I though, but the Maverick fixed that.  The temp at the grate is about 30 degrees lower than the temp at the stock themo. 

The exhaust extension made it a little easier to control temps. Still can't leave it alone for 1/2 hr or it will cool down or run away.  The extension did increase the delta between the stock thermo and grate by 20 degrees. 

Now to fix the overwhelming sour smoke flavor.   I want to get that under control before Rockfish season.  I need another way to prepare those things. 

For the huge hunks of pig I have been smoking, , I've been lighting with chunk charcoal, and cooking with wood,  

Any tips are welcome.

DevGnoll

On the Western Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky