Herbs in the Wood chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

john suede

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 1, 2013
Barrhead Alberta
Hey all,

Im new to the forum, but Ive been smoking meat at home for quite some time. Im small scale however, I just use 2 little chiefs. They get the job done, just have to do several batches. Makes my shop smell awesome so I dont mind. 

Just had an idea tonight, tried it and thought it turned out awesome. It may be a repeat, sorry if it is. I put bay leaves in the wood chips. Gave an incredible aroma. Have any of you guys and gals tried putting herbs in your chips? What kinds worked best for you if you do?

Kind regards,

John

Tried that many years ago.  Didn't think I got much results other than the smell on the patio. Even then it sometimes just smelled like burnt herbs?

I put the herbs on the meat.

Let us know what you think?

Good luck and good smoking.

Venture; hey thanks for the reply. As it turns out, you are right. It smelled heavenly but in the end made no detectable difference. Cheap experiment, no harm no foul this time :) Just jerky any way. 

I'm inclined to ask, are you originally from Nebraska? My Dad grew up in Omaha and in Norfolk. Spent a bit of time in both places, along with Lincoln. Great place. Never seen so many college football fans in my life before tho. ('go huskers!')

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky