HELP!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

old school

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 18, 2007
Wisconsin
I canned my first 1/2 bushel of Romas last week.  I blanched then put in sterile Qt. jars.  Added a teaspoon of salt and water bathed them for 10 Min.  Went to do another batch last night and while re reading the directions it talked about cold canning to water bath for 45 Min.....

I did the second batch for 45 min.  

???  Whats with the time difference?  Both sealed great.  Do I need to be concerned about my first batch??

THANKS!!!

I hear that rbranstner.   When I'm smoking sausage I know my Grandpa has a HUGE smile on his face wondering where is my martini ;)

I read that what I'm doing is called "raw pack" cause I don't add any hot water in the jars.  There fore it shows a 85 min. processing time.

The more I research the more options I get
confused.gif

10 minutes is definitely not enough time to get the temp up to kill any bacteria for raw packed tomatoes. Since you didn't cook them the only thing killing any bacteria or mold spores is the time they are in the canner. 85 minutes is the correct time for raw packed tomatoes with no liquid added because there are more solids and it takes longer to get to the desired temp. Also, if you are using a regular water bath canner and not a pressure canner then I would recommend using some fresh lemon juice or better yet citric acid. Tomatoes vary in acidity and they can even lose acidty on older or dead vines. You are relying on the acid to help prevent the yuckies! Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Yup I'm re canning my Tomatoes.  I'll chalk it up to a great learning process
icon_cool.gif

My Mother canned for many many years and never put lemon juice in however I'm seeing that everywhere!

I'm going to look up citric acid as I'm not sure where to buy it......

Bummer, but better than making yourself sick! I think anyone who has done any canning has had a "chalk it up to a lesson learned" experience. For me, it was the first time I canned peaches and I overfilled them and they wouldn't seal. I had to redo about 24 jars of peaches! I was soooo bummed, but it never happened again!

Just an FYI in case you didn't know this, but since your jars already sealed you should use new ones. Use the same rings, but new seals. I learned that the hard way too.

Last edited:
15e114fa_Picture196.jpg
Thanks.  I'm using minute maid concentrate lemonade for the re do process but I will get some citric acid.  Thanks Beer!  I use something like that in my sausage but I think its called something else ( if that makes sense ) its for the old school tang taste.  Just can't recall it right now.  Super Squirrel - I do have new lids.  Yes I went with the water bath system cause I was first told 10 min.  Now at 85 I wish I got a pressure cooker!!  

The problem with all this is I speak to one person who canned for years and they have a different deal then another.  Almost seems like a lost art.  I enjoy it so I'm trying to pick up as much as possible.  Thanks!! 

*Pic is my first set up.

Last edited:
I thought I would update since many have helped me.

I re did my canning.  Really not that bad at all.  I sterilized the new jars and just opened the others and put the tomatoes in.  Added minute maid concentrate lemon juice ( 1/2 a teaspoon ), new lids I had also sterilized and in the bath they went for 85 min.  I then turned off the heat and let them sit for 5 min. and then pulled them out.  I did hear three "Pop" later on as they cooled.

This morning they look good.  All the lids are "sunk in".  I have to do the remaining tonight.

Thanks everyone and to those on other threads on this process too! 

ps Beer I ordered the citric acid THX

I re did my last set.  It's funny as once I'm in the processing step it reminds me of smoking ( w/o the great smell and the drooling of course ).  Getting the boil just the way you want it and maintain that, timing everything and drinking beer once you got it dialed in while just waiting for the right time to pull.  
smile.gif

My wife's grandmother was our "go-to" canning expert but she passed on 5 years ago.  When we have a canning question we turn to the County Extension Office when we can't find the answer on-line at their website.

Good looking 'maters you have there OS. 
Originally Posted by Old School

I use something like that in my sausage but I think its called something else ( if that makes sense ) its for the old school tang taste.  Just can't recall it right now.
Could it be "Fermento" that you're thinking of?

We've been canning tomatoes for about two weeks and are finally through with it! WOW! Good advice on the lemon juice or citric acid. And 85 minutes is right on for the water bath under 1000 feet in elevation. Above 1000 feet it is recommended to add five minutes to the water  bath for every successive 1000 feet. So for you folks in Denver the proper time would be 105 minutes. We're at 90 minutes.

We were blessed with a wonderful harvest this season and will have tomatoes all winter as well as pickles and various squashes, beets, carrots, peas, beans (lima and blue lake string), and a great harvest of herbs to boot. Life is good at the Moose Knoll Farm!

Cheers!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky