Help with heating

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noons

Original poster
May 25, 2021
I am new to this forum. I have a 40inch Master Built Electric Smoker. It has worked perfectly for years. Now it only heats to 141 degrees and will not go any higher. Do I need to replace the heating element or is there a thermostat? Maybe the temperature control panel? Thanks for any help!

Sorry I do not run an Electric so I'm no help but I wanted to welcome you to SMF from Coastal South Carolina. Someone will be along shortly to help you

It would be one of three things:
1) Bad heating element. Just can't get past 141F and some sort of damage is preventing it from heating it up more
2) Bad thermal switch. Should allow you to head to 302F but it might be damaged and breaking early is it consistently stoping at 141F?)
3) Bad thermistor. Its reporting the wrong temperature value back to the controller. Does the current temperature read out accurately? Can you verify with a second temperature probe?

For 2)
There's a temperature limiter (thermal switch) that you can look into replacing KSD301 150.
You can grab it off amazon.
The part is called KSD301. The 150 refers to the temperature limit of 150C/302F
I just ordered 5 to fix mine that won't heat at all.
You'll need to remove the back it should be housed in a small metal box in the upper half.
I have the MES30 so i'm not entirely sure.
The mounting screws are accessed from inside (cooking area).
To check, when you have access to the pins, take a multimeter resistance/continuity and check the pins. it should read 0 ohms of resistance.

Reactions: PPG1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky