1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Help me pick a new pellet smoker

Discussion in 'Pellet Smokers' started by thatswhatshesaid, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Settling on a Rec Tec Trailblazer vs Stampede.

I already have a big stick burner that I use all the time, a 18" WSM with minimal use, and I kind of want a set it and forget it for the times I don't want to poke a fire for 14 straight hours and smell like a firepit.

It's just my wife, me, and my 2yo to feed off of this grill. Bigger cooks I can use my others. Still though, the trailblazer I'm eyeing because its small in size(something I want in a pellet grill). I've seen a vid of a guy that smoked a 15lb brisket in one so that's the max I would cook in it, or couple of racks, a chicken, a butt, etc. I STILL need room for a smoke tube, so this is a concern.

Anyone with either of these smokers can elaborate on their pros/cons on these? I'd rather get the Trailblazer due to its compact size and it fitting a 15lb brisket but I couldn't tell if there was enough room for a tube smoker for added smoke flavor(I'm used to the stick burner flavor, I know it wont be as much in a pellet but Id like to get as much smoke flavor as possible still).

2. SlowmotionQue

SlowmotionQue Smoking Fanatic

You can’t go wrong with the Stampede or the Trailblazer.

Anyway, if you’re dissatisfied with a Rec Tec for any reason you can return it in 30 days.

3. bregent

bregent Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Have you ever tried food cooked on a pellet grill? I'm happy with the smoke flavor I get off my pellet cooker, but many folks that come from stick burners are never happy with them - even with supplemental smoke devices. See if you can find someone in your area that has a pellet grill whose food you can try before investing in one. You might be pleasantly surprised, or may find it's not for you.

ofelles likes this.
  4. mike guy

mike guy Newbie

I'm not going to tell anyone what they do or don't like from a smoker. But I've recently bought a pellet smoker, and I can't really say the flavor is all that different from a stick burner or a kamado charcoal and wood chunk setup, IF you were waiting for good smoke before putting food on.

I spent years smoking on a kamado and an offset, and spent a lot of effort perfecting clean smoke and fire management. A pellet smoker tastes a lot like when I nailed the smoke.

I see a lot of buddies at BBQs toss food right on the smoker before the fire is ready and I honestly think people are just used to the campfire style flavor, vs being let down by a lighter pellet smoke.

10 years ago I wrote off pellet smokers because I went to a bbq and had some that wasn't up to my standards. These days I doubt most people can honestly tell as long as they nail the cook.

retfr8flyr likes this.