Help me pick a new pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thatswhatshesaid

Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
Settling on a Rec Tec Trailblazer vs Stampede.

I already have a big stick burner that I use all the time, a 18" WSM with minimal use, and I kind of want a set it and forget it for the times I don't want to poke a fire for 14 straight hours and smell like a firepit.

It's just my wife, me, and my 2yo to feed off of this grill. Bigger cooks I can use my others. Still though, the trailblazer I'm eyeing because its small in size(something I want in a pellet grill). I've seen a vid of a guy that smoked a 15lb brisket in one so that's the max I would cook in it, or couple of racks, a chicken, a butt, etc. I STILL need room for a smoke tube, so this is a concern.

Anyone with either of these smokers can elaborate on their pros/cons on these? I'd rather get the Trailblazer due to its compact size and it fitting a 15lb brisket but I couldn't tell if there was enough room for a tube smoker for added smoke flavor(I'm used to the stick burner flavor, I know it wont be as much in a pellet but Id like to get as much smoke flavor as possible still).

You can’t go wrong with the Stampede or the Trailblazer.

Anyway, if you’re dissatisfied with a Rec Tec for any reason you can return it in 30 days.

Have you ever tried food cooked on a pellet grill? I'm happy with the smoke flavor I get off my pellet cooker, but many folks that come from stick burners are never happy with them - even with supplemental smoke devices. See if you can find someone in your area that has a pellet grill whose food you can try before investing in one. You might be pleasantly surprised, or may find it's not for you.

Reactions: ofelles
I'm not going to tell anyone what they do or don't like from a smoker. But I've recently bought a pellet smoker, and I can't really say the flavor is all that different from a stick burner or a kamado charcoal and wood chunk setup, IF you were waiting for good smoke before putting food on.

I spent years smoking on a kamado and an offset, and spent a lot of effort perfecting clean smoke and fire management. A pellet smoker tastes a lot like when I nailed the smoke.

I see a lot of buddies at BBQs toss food right on the smoker before the fire is ready and I honestly think people are just used to the campfire style flavor, vs being let down by a lighter pellet smoke.

10 years ago I wrote off pellet smokers because I went to a bbq and had some that wasn't up to my standards. These days I doubt most people can honestly tell as long as they nail the cook.

Reactions: retfr8flyr
Similar situation...
For me the entire point of BBQ, and going through the work and spending money, is for the smoke flavor, not the sauce/seasoning, so smoke is #1. But tending to a fire is making me compromise. Considering a ceramic cooker, pellet smoker, and the Cookshack electric.

I've read too many comments on not enough good smoke from a pellet smoker, or the need for a pellet tube accessory. I've had "smoked" meats from a pellet smoker. The owners love the smoke, but I could never taste the smoke. Maybe I don't have sensitive enough taste buds, or maybe the owners don't have a clue what good smoke taste like, or maybe they only tasted the sause/seasoning.

There's also a lot of discussion on PID vs analog. Some think consistent temperature is important (efficient heat). I think smoke is more important (inefficient burn). Can't have both at the same time on a pellet smoker. Though I do wonder why someone hasn't developed a dual burning pellet smoker (though the tube smoke accessory is probably doing that).

That makes it tough to spend the money on something too far away from what I want.

A ceramic smoker + temp controller sounds a lot closer to the ideal.

Jake
Western WA.

FWIW, I just ordered a Rec Tec Stampede. I was also considering the Trailblazer, but after reading a number of reviews and based on SlowmotionQue's review/post I decided to go Stampede. Better to be a little to big, than to small.

Agreed I’m happy with my rectec 700.

Re: kamado smoking. You can make good food on ceramics. The smoke is not what I consider clean, but at the same time it’s a desirable Smokey flavor that works well for shorter 4-5 smokes. The low oxygen smoke part does not agree with me for beef ribs, pork shoulders, or brisket. It’s good, just not great.

It’s the best grill I’ve ever owned by a long shot. But we are talking smokers.

I’m on the pellet train and can reproduce close to the offset or kamado flavors with pellet and technique choices.

TLDR: I like my pellet smoker but you won’t see me getting rid of my kamado any time soon. Even using them in combo sometimes is great. Smoke a prime rib on the pellet and sear it on the big green egg is best of both worlds.

Reactions: snakyjake
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky