Help Identifying Beef

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mberrier

Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
So I have about 9 of these that were given me in a box with no Identification. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it may be. They weigh 11 pounds each. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_5562.jpg
    IMG_5562.jpg
    216.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5563.jpg
    IMG_5563.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5564.jpg
    IMG_5564.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 82
Whole boneless ribeye is what it looks like to me. A picture of one unwrapped would definitely help identify. If it is a whole ribeye, cut into steaks of your preferred thickness and vacuum seal.

Reactions: mberrier
Close as I can tell its a boneless rib roast (ribeye) aka Prime Rib Roast
Agree with the others, would need a closer look by unwrapping and taking the netting off.

Reactions: mberrier
well, since you have 9 of them...maybe thaw one can get a better looksee. chop a couple steaks off and see how that goes and go from there???

If you need help, I will gladly take one off your hands and help sort this out...free of charge :emoji_wink:

So I have about 9 of these that were given me in a box with no Identification. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what it may be. They weigh 11 pounds each. Thanks for the help.
Wow thanks for all the help! New to the forum but can tell I will enjoy it. I will thaw and unwrap one in a few days. Wanting to grill it but not sure with the string on it if I can take it off before searing.

Wanting to grill it but not sure with the string on it if I can take it off before searing.

Sure. The netting is most likely stretchy elastic and will come right off. If not you can easily cut it off with some kitchen shears. It is typically used for whole roast to help them keep their shape while roasting. It will not burn off at oven temps.
If after you take it off you can slice it into steaks for searing on a hot grill, or you could leave it on and roast it whole in your oven or bbq @350' until the internal temp probe reaches about 129'. Pull out, tent to rest and carve.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky