Help!!! Brand new to smoking!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

denverdarty

Original poster
Mar 5, 2011
I am currently living in Denver, Born and raised in Kentucky, grew up eat'in at old hickory Bar B Q, and well cant get the taste of home here, So i want to try this myself, Can anybody give me an idea on where to start............I'm a Pork lover, but i don't even have a smoker........Need some direction, what kind of smoker should i buy, or make for that matter.

Please Help!!

Smokeless in Denver

If you are looking for a charcoal smoker WSM  would be the way to go. They have great temp control and are really easy to run.. For a electric smoker i no a lot of the guys here run the MES so you might want to check that out as well
icon14.gif

Welcome to the SMF.

I got to agree with Tyrotrain.  Since you're a fan of good BBQ I think you'd be happier with the flavor of a charcoal burner like the WSM (Weber Smokey Mountain).  It's a little more work than the MES (Masterbuilt Electric Smoker), but after you use it a few times and get the hang of it, you'll like how easy they are to use and give you a very good low and slow BBQ expereince.

Enjoy Denver.  I lived there for a few years back 20 years ago when I was in college. 

Welcome to smf glad to have ya!!!! IF you don't have alot of money to spend the brinkmann gourmet charcoal smoker is a great first

unit. its around 100 bucks and can produce some fine Q with little effort,then you can start doing mods and expanding from there. Use the search feature and the wiki section to look for alot of great info on tons of differant smokers. Good luck.

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's "FREE" ... 5 Day eCourseE

Welcome.  I am new here as well and to smoking and looks like down the street from you.  I have a MES that the hubby got me from Bass Pro. I know that they have all kinds. One of the guys i work with has a "green Egg" and after looking and researching i might look at getting one after i get the hang of it. From what i have heard is a great place to go to get supplies locally is www.ruffsonline.com  and they are in golden by applejacks. good luck on this and would to hear what you go with.

Welcome!!

Tons of info here!

Craig

Old Hickory here in Owensboro wow good eats. Right up the road from me gonna be hard matching that flavor with out the dip good luck.

Welcome to the forum!

Since you are specifically talking about pulled pork, you need a smoker that can run for 12-18 hrs. with little to no input from you at a steady temp. It sounds like you probably are looking at either charcoal or a wood burner. Wood burners are nice, but generally start at about $1000-1500 and go up from there for a good one. Charcoal has more price points:
  • ECB (El Cheapo Brinkman) - small vertical smoker, can be modified to produce some good smokes and can buy one used for about $20-$40
  • Horizontal offset smokers (Char-griller, Charbroil) larger smoke chambers, fire box is off to the side, generally require a lot more input from the user to maintain temps over long smokes, used they run about $100, new $200.
  • Weber Smokey Mountain: comes in the 18.5" and 22.5" size, are what I call "smoking for dummies" easy to use (which is why I have one
    biggrin.gif
    ), when set up and running can run 18-20+ hrs. on one fill of the charcoal ring depending on weather. You won't find many used because they last forever and people tend to keep them, new the 18.5" can be picked up between $250-$300, and the 22.5" for $350-$400.
  • Komoda/Big Green Egg's - super efficient, run forever on a small amount of fuel, are incredibly heavy (so make sure you get one with wheels on it), don't see very many used ones as they also last a long time and are generally held onto. New they are kind of spendy, start around $1000-$1200 and go up from there.
Take some time to poke around on the forum, sign up for the 5 day e-course for free, read up on the various types of smokers and how people like them. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and once you make your decision holler and we will get you plenty of tips on how to turn out some stellar pulled pork!
439.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky