Help and advice on the build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrandNagus7

Original poster
May 17, 2020
Hello,

I have gathered some materials to build my own smoker in my backyard. I have a very small concrete slab already there (660mm x 450mm) and looking to build a wooden smokehouse. Since I have a limited amount of room I wanted to put the fire pit underneath but it just clicked to me before why people build it to the side and have a pipe leading to it (duhh)!

I drew up a very rough design and had an idea. Planning on making a 500mm or so high brick wall then placing some sort of sheet on top to retain the heat and put a pipe in the middle for the smoke to go through. Would anyone have any idea what material I can use that will be strong enough to retain the heat? Even if it's two layers between some bricks. The best solution I could think of getting some 12mm Plywood and put a layer of insulation for the heat.

Also, being in Australia Cedar wood is sort of easy to get but it's expensive. What would be my next best alternative that won't break the bank but will work for the outdoors? I have been looking at Tasmanian Oak flooring but I don't think it's suitable for outdoor use. Maybe the Aussie users here can help me out with that!

Cheers,
Stefan.

Attachments

• Photo 18-5-20, 14 37 22.jpg
    Photo 18-5-20, 14 37 22.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Photo 18-5-20, 15 23 48.jpg
    Photo 18-5-20, 15 23 48.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

5/8 " (15.875" mm) marine plywood - over 500° F (260° C) flash point before it ignites! Plenty of room for both hot or cold smoking!

Last edited:
Thanks. I noticed some people use ply which is a good option. I was trying to see if I can source some sort of flooring that way it's easier to construct and does look nice.

I noticed people use untreated pine but I thought that would over time deteriorate outside.

Thanks. I noticed some people use ply which is a good option. I was trying to see if I can source some sort of flooring that way it's easier to construct and does look nice.

I noticed people use untreated pine but I thought that would over time deteriorate outside.
I used untreated tongue and groove for the outside of mine. But I lined it with 1/2" concrete boards and 1/8" non coated aluminum. I don't run over 225 but have had it up to 350 for a few mins with no issues. I feel I would probably be ok running higher but no reason to for me. I did a direct source on mine with a simple cast iron on a propane burner

Hello! Apologies for the late reply, I kind of started the build and been building ever since!

I also realised plywood is no good as it can contain some pretty nasty stuff in it, not sure why that guy on YouTube recommended it.

I ended up sourcing some really nice Western Red Cedar tongue and groove boards for a good price. I will post some photos up when I can. I am currently putting together the cedar panneling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky