Hello! Help with an ancient Coleman electric smoker please.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Artmustel

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum and not too expert on barbecuing and smoking. Until now i was smoking meats with a charcoal smoker, but recently I purchased (yard sale) a Coleman electric smoker and it is impossible to find any documentation for it, so I assume it is very old. It is vertical, cylinder shaped, and has a heating element on bottom, then a circular pan that I assume is for water, and then 2 round grills and finally the cover with a thermometer. My question is about using wood ships on it; I have seen youtube videos on placing chips inside a folded and perforated aluminum foil but I am unsure if such thing can be placed directly on the heating element. Is this ok to do pr would it damage the heating element? Thanks in advance!

Pics would proably get more responses but my guess is the pan is for the wood chips. Again just a guess

Thank you crazzycajun but the round pan is too far away from the heating element, I believe it is for water.

What you have described is correct.. the pan is for water.. and placing anything directly on the heating element can and will damage the element. There was likely a second pan at one time that say right above the element for putting chips.

Wood pellets also work well in the tinfoil pouch.. just make sure you poke a couple of holes in the top - depending on the size of your pouch, you're going to get about 30-60 minutes of smoke form it before you'd need to add another one.

Photos of this smoker would be helpful

there should be a small metal pan that the wood chips go on and then on the heating element BUT depending on the smoker Coleman also had a smoker that the pan was below the heating element that the wood chips sat in.

Look at this website.

col3.JPG
col2.JPG
col1.JPG

Reactions: JLeonard
Here are some pics of it, it came with those ceramic like tiles surrounding the heating element, maybe some kind of lava rocks? As you can see, there is no tray for wood chips, also there is no door to access the interior of smoker, Thank you!

i was asked for pictures but after I posted them no more replies showed on my thread. Did i do anything wrong?

You did nothing wrong... seems no one has any advice to share about your smoker. These things happen.

If you Google Coleman Electric Smoker Manual it seems there's a ton of resources that pop up though.

About all I can offer would to be have a little stand made that will hold a pouch (as explained above) of chips/pellets right above the heat element and below the water pan...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky