Hello from North FL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HGtally

Original poster
Jun 18, 2023
Good-day all. I’m new to the culinary art of smoking, but since getting my smoker about a month ago I’m loving it. I’m retired and, as you can see from the title, we live in north Florida. The wife has been after me for a while to get into smoking. What finally prompted me to dive in was this past Thanksgiving. I bought a smoked brisket (it wasn’t cheap!) for our holiday dinner from a local reputable smoke house and we’re woefully disappointed; it was over done and dry. That pushed me over the edge and here I am.

After much research I picked up a 30” Char-Broil Digital Electric smoker with which to start this tasty adventure. I chose this type of smoker because of space limitations on our porch. The only real delma I’ve had to deal with equipment wise is getting enough smoke out of it, but I’ve read this is typical of electric smokers. The addition of a 12” pellet tube solved that problem; now I get a solid 5-6 hours of smoke. From what I’ve read meats absorb the smoke flavor in the early stages of the cook, and 5-6 hours of smoke should be plenty for any meat.

So far I’ve cooked a few pork butts, ribs, pork chops, chicken, and chuck roasts. Most came out great; however, there was definitely a learning curve on the chuck roasts. My last one came out nice and moist. If I can keep this up there may be a briske in my future. 😋

Well I probably shared more then anyone cares to read, but I’m excited to get on to my next cook. Have a smoking’ day!

Reactions: JLeonard
Welcome neighbor I'm between Quincy and Chattahoochee.

Smoke will be taken into the meat as long as smoke is applied. The "smoke ring" stops forming at about 140 degrees. The smoke ring does not make a bit of difference in the taste of the meat but most people like to have a nice pretty smoke ring.
I haven't been in every BBQ place in our area that I've really been impressed with some are ok and some are terrible.

The smoke ring does not make a bit of difference in the taste of the meat but most people like to have a nice pretty smoke ring.
What Jerry said. The ring makes for a nice presentation, but doesn't really add anything other than appearance.

Smoke will be taken into the meat as long as smoke is applied. The "smoke ring" stops forming at about 140 degrees. The smoke ring does not make a bit of difference in the taste of the meat but most people like to have a nice pretty smoke ring.
I haven't been in every BBQ place in our area that I've really been impressed with some are ok and some are terrible.
Pinewoods, Thank you for the reply and clarification on smoke. Like I said, I’m new to all this and will happily take any feedback/advice I am given.

Welcome from Iowa! Glad you joined us! I'd say go for that brisket... only one way to learn! Just remember to take it to probe tender... the point at which a probe or skewer slides into it like warm butter. A dried out brisket is usually one that was not cooked long enough.

Ryan

Welcome from Mississippi. No worries about a long post. Some of us (me included) do some wordy post. And we like pictures like its show and tell day in grade school. Look forward to your posts. Ask away, there is a ton of knowledge on here.

Jim

Welcome glad to have you on board. A lot to learn in this game as you try the many ways keep notes for repeated cooks. We like photos too. With this new hobby you have two things to watch one is your money and two is your waistline. Enjoy

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky