hello from louisville ky go CARDS!!!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokerookie

Original poster
Apr 12, 2007
i just got a brinkman gourmet smoker i tried it i heated the coals then put on my chips then my meat but meat was done in like 2 -3 hrs did i put meat on too quick?i see where people smoke for 10 plus hrs is my model of brinkman capable to smoke for long periods like that if so i would gladly take any advice to know what it is im not doing right

Welcome to SMF smokerookie. Sounds like your temperature was too hot. Remember when smoking the rule of thumb is Low N Slow. You're smoking not grilling. What kind of meat were you smoking? You probably had too many coals (just guessing) then allowed the fire to breathe too much.

Have you taken TulsaJeff's 5-Day eCourse yet? Start off with a small amount of coals and learn to control the heat to maintain a cooking grate temp of around 225º give or take, depending on the meat.

Keep asking questions and there will be more responses to this thread. Just be patient and keep learning to control the heat. You'll be a pro before you know it.

Keep Smokin

i had put in 10 lbs charcoal and had ribs brisket pork loin and beef loin on both levels

Hey Rookie, it sounds like you fired up all those briquettes all at once. The best way to use briquettes with a bullet type smoker it to use the Minion method. Basiclly, fill your charcoal basket with briquettes, fill a charcoal chimney with briquettes and get them going really well. Pour these lit briquettes evenly over the top of the briquettes in the charcoal basket and add your wood chips. Do a forum search on the Minion Method and see what is posted here or "Google" Minion Method and see what is on the 'net. If you can find it, look for the modified Minion Method-it requires some mods to the charcoal pan. It's suppose to help eleminate the ash from smothering the fire.

Yo Smoker,

Glad you stopped by. I'm a long suffering Indians fan. More importantly, I'm a baseball fan and look forward to both a KC game and a Cards game in St. Louis this Summer.

Go Injuns!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky