Hello from California!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigbountybbq

Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Palm Springs, CA
Looks like I jumped the gun and didn't introduce myself! Thanks for all the replies I've gotten on my pork question, everyone seems to have a ton of great info around here. I'm fairly new to smoking and got myself the good ol' ECB to start out. Hope to be taking pics like you guys here pretty soon! Happy Smokin'!

Welcome to SMF glad you decided to join us. You'll find lots of good info and good people here. Have fun and happy smoking

Welcome aboard you will like it here. I have a friend with an ECB and a HUGE smoker on a trailer too. he uses the ECB a lot. I saw a restuarant owner on DDD using one for serving ppork sandwiches daily. Those are good smokers!

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I love my ECB so far! I've done the fire pan mod already, but really wanna get a stand to hold it so i can tend to the fire a bit more...had a quick question on wood chips/chunks, how many chunks should I be putting in at a time?? I've used chips a few times now and think I have the hang of it, but I wanna try some good size chunks over the weekend. Any tips??

I would try wrapping the chunks in foil and making some holes. Ive made the mistake of tossing them in carelessly and it can cause your fire to become too hot.

PS. It does not take a whole lot of wood to flavor your meats, overdoing it will result in a bitter aftertaste in your food.

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF from Northern Cali.

Welcome to SMF!

This can become a very addicting hobby and has side affects of weight gain , smelling like smoke all the time and spending alot of time

on this web site.

Greetings all .... guess this is where I should start since I am in So. Calif.   I am new to the smoking thing having recently purchased a Traeger Jr.  We felt the size was just perfect for the 2 of us and the amount of space we have available.  We also have a Weber 4-burner Summit that we just love.  We have enjoyed grilling for years but find the Summit is not the best for smoking.  Even with the smoking bin it only lasts about 40-45 minutes.  I have wanted a smoker for years and have was looking at the Bradley again due to size.  But when we saw and learned about the Traeger we felt it would do the job we wanted.  Now I just need to pick up some guidance from all the experts on this forum.  I have only smoked a Tri-tip so far with mixed results.  I was told it could be done in 2 hours but when we took it off the smoker it was far from done.  We did slice a few pieces off of it to check it out and it was very moist but not much smoke flavor or let alone a ring.  So we put it in the frig and the next day I put it back on for about 3-1/2 hours.  It got a nice crust on it and when we cut into it there was a nice smoke ring and lots of smoke flavor.  So now I know to cook a tri-tip a bit longer then 2 hours.

I will post a couple of pix of my Traeger since I am pretty proud of it and hope to learn a lot from the info posted on forum.

Many thanks in advance to reply to my posts and provide some great info.  Happy smoking every one.

Jack

9bf9970c_IMG_20100829_181919.jpg
d94aa930_IMG_20100829_183117.jpg

Welcome to SMF, Glad to have you with us.

This is the place to learn, lots of good info and helpful friendly Members.

For those of you new to Smoking, be sure to check out Jeff's 5 Day Smoking Basics eCourse.

Click Here it's"FREE" ...5 Day eCourseE

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky