Helium tanks..for smokers..

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jones54

Original poster
Jan 13, 2011
Has anyone ever used a helium tank to make a smoker. If so, do they hold heat well like a propane tank. Or can a helium tank even be used to make a smoker?

Hey Jones,

Helium is an inert gas so you don't have to worry about launching yourself into orbit when you cut into it, if there are any residual elements left after a good burn out I can't answer that question, what I can say is it's used in balloons and when they explode or deflate and release their helium it's evidently not dangerous.

As to how well it would retain heat would depend on the wall thickness, can you show us a pic?

Gene

Last edited:
Helium is a harmless gas so there are no issues in that regard. It can be breathed with no harm, and is actually mixed with oxygen to make a mix for scuba diving. 

As for holding heat, as JPT said above that depends on the wall thickness, not the gas that was inside.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky