Heat distribution and smoke movement in cedar smoke house.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chucksmokesmeats

Original poster
Sep 10, 2019
So my smokehouse has a heat distribution problem. I have an approx 45 cubic ft cedar smokehouse with an external firebox for wood with about 2ft of piping into the bottom of the house about 18 inches from the floor. Smoke flows nicely around the inside and gets into every corner but the heat is inconsistent with cold spots and hot spots. Any simple ideas to make it more consistent throughout the house?

Last edited:
No insulation, just the cedar. It holds temperature pretty well but like I said its hot here, cold here, warm here.

I wouldn't say that's holding temp "pretty well", just my 2¢ worth. Try some rigid insulation on the outside, might turn that baby into a gas chamber. It's cheap and installs easy. RAY

Rob put a screen and drain rock above the inlet pipe in his smoker... Thermal mass and good air/smoke/heat distribution...

heat diffuser.JPG

1580864390910.jpeg

Rob's smoke house from his blog.....

That's what I'm thinking.. some kind of heat difusser ... maybe a metal plate that's about an inch short (a gap) all the way around and then a bunch of 1/2"... 3/4" holes drilled in it ...

Rob put a screen and drain rock above the inlet pipe in his smoker... Thermal mass and good air/smoke/heat distribution...

View attachment 431269

View attachment 431270

Rob's smoke house from his blog.....

I like this idea. I think I am going to roll with it as I already have some expanded metal right above the smoke pipe.

Reactions: daveomak
I still have hot cold zones. It is always warmer at the bottom than the top. The higher you raise it the more it can be. I have seen 190 at the bottom and 170 at the top before.

So I don't cook full 24" summer sausages anymore. I have been trying to figure it out more, but not exactly sure and still a learning curve.

Riddle me this one. I thought the heat zone was over cooking my bologna at the bottom. Why is the short one over cooked at the bottom too? I am thinking of cooking them laying flat on the shelves next time.

Attachments

• IMG_0664.JPG
    IMG_0664.JPG
    128.2 KB · Views: 28
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky