Healthier Breakfast Fattie?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
This one was a nod to my wife who wanted something slightly healthier today.
I used my own bacon, which is low-sodium, turkey sausage, lean ham, and omega-3 eggs. I could have gone with her low/no fat cheese, but that stuff doesn't melt and tastes disgusting, imo.
Basic weave with Jeff's rub.
20200801_230607 (2).jpg

20200801_230909.jpg

Used cheddar and Monteray Jack cheese, and some red onion.
20200801_231619.jpg

20200802_101231.jpg

Sorry again for the blue tint. It was the wife's idea to use blue fiberglass on the shelter over the deck.
20200802_101422.jpg

Slight blowout, but that's okay.
20200802_115248.jpg

20200802_121357.jpg

I got a new Shun chef's knife, and it sure makes thin slicing easy.
20200802_121442.jpg

20200802_122101.jpg

Verdict: While I don't think the turkey sausage was as flavorful as pork, I was able to eat everything on the plate above without feeling stuffed, or like I just ingested a grease bomb. Still had a very good taste. So next time I think I will still use turkey, but I'll try to enhance the flavor a bit more. Perhaps a bit more onion, or maybe a little diced jalapeno, or sauce the inside.

Looks really good from my vantage point. I've used ground turkey in a fatty before. You just have to season the heck out of it.
Point for sure
Chris

Yup. Looks great. Never tried turkey sausage.

Looks really good from my vantage point. I've used ground turkey in a fatty before. You just have to season the heck out of it.
Point for sure
Chris
Thanks for the likes, friends.
Chris is right; the roll said, "turkey sausage" so I assumed it was seasoned accordingly. But it definitely needed something more.
Mike

Healthier just to not eat them....... that’s why I stay away. I have to draw the line somewhere and I enjoy fitting through doors.

This one was a nod to my wife who wanted something slightly healthier today.
I used my own bacon, which is low-sodium, turkey sausage, lean ham, and omega-3 eggs. I could have gone with her low/no fat cheese, but that stuff doesn't melt and tastes disgusting, imo.
Basic weave with Jeff's rub.
View attachment 456719

View attachment 456720
Used cheddar and Monteray Jack cheese, and some red onion.
View attachment 456721

View attachment 456722

Sorry again for the blue tint. It was the wife's idea to use blue fiberglass on the shelter over the deck.
View attachment 456723

Slight blowout, but that's okay.
View attachment 456724

View attachment 456725

I got a new Shun chef's knife, and it sure makes thin slicing easy.
View attachment 456726
View attachment 456727

Verdict: While I don't think the turkey sausage was as flavorful as pork, I was able to eat everything on the plate above without feeling stuffed, or like I just ingested a grease bomb. Still had a very good taste. So next time I think I will still use turkey, but I'll try to enhance the flavor a bit more. Perhaps a bit more onion, or maybe a little diced jalapeno, or sauce the inside.
Good looking fatty, when I use turkey sausage, I add additional spice to it.

Smoke ON!
- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky