Hatch Pepper Drying Done!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Just finished with last batch hatch peppers. A bit spicier than I may have wanted. Only used about 1/6 hots ones but they hot. Really good flavor. Things learned: Don't close the grill lid! Cooks peppers to much and you just want to char the skin. Should of tried to dry without roasting and de-skinning. A lot of juice comes out after roasting which brings me to the next. Save the juice, it is liquid gold. Now to try make a seasoning. This is new territory for me and don't want to waste.

20210828_092500.jpg 20210828_092723.jpg

This what ended up with.

20210828_093028.jpg

Got some pork stock going for Green Chile Stew.

20210828_092504.jpg

Scored some of our Local Distillery whiskey. Has gotten really hard to get these now days. They run a lottery for right to buy a bottle when they bottle and I lost this one. Went up to distillery and several people did not pick up their bottles so was able to get. Man this is good! They where working on the blend for the next collaboration blend from three Texas Distilleries. Balcones is one of them. Last one Grayson turned out really good. Was trying to save a bottle as a gift for one of our members but when all my bottles went dry and lost the lottery broke down and opened it.

20210827_143549.jpg

Last edited:
That came out really good . I'd say worth the effort .
They always get hotter when you dry them .

Sounds like it's going to be good, I'm with about to much heat, I like a little but not to much.

Good size batch of powder! Those hot Hatch can have some heat for sure.
I am doing some green chile today as well. My Dad used to simmer a couple pig ears for hours to start
with bit I think I will skip that part this time!
Interesting things the micro/macro distillers are doing these days.
Looks tasty.. and It is the thought that counts, right?

Just finished with last batch hatch peppers. A bit spicier than I may have wanted. Only used about 1/6 hots ones but they hot. Really good flavor. Things learned: Don't close the grill lid! Cooks peppers to much and you just want to char the skin. Should of tried to dry without roasting and de-skinning. A lot of juice comes out after roasting which brings me to the next. Save the juice, it is liquid gold. Now to try make a seasoning. This is new territory for me and don't want to waste.

View attachment 509099View attachment 509097

This what ended up with.

View attachment 509095

Got some pork stock going for Green Chile Stew.

View attachment 509098

Scored some of our Local Distillery whiskey. Has gotten really hard to get these now days. They run a lottery for right to buy a bottle when they bottle and I lost this one. Went up to distillery and several people did not pick up their bottles so was able to get. Man this is good! They where working on the blend for the next collaboration blend from three Texas Distilleries. Balcones is one of them. Last one Grayson turned out really good. Was trying to save a bottle as a gift for one of our members but when all my bottles went dry and lost the lottery broke down and opened it.

View attachment 509100
Nice! Looks volcanic for sure! The booze is a added win.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky