Hash brown time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well, here is my final hash brown report as I think I have effectively duplicated Bud Willman's hash browns.

For my last iteration, I used the large russet baking potatoes from the super market. I poked some steam holes in the potatoes. I baked the potatoes at 400 F until the internal temperature reached 70 C (158 F). This took about 35 minutes in my convection oven. I cooled the potatoes on the counter for about 2 hours then into the fridge overnight.

I used my cheap box grater to shred the potatoes after peeling them.

I cooked them on my indoor griddle as I didn't want to fire up my Blackstone for just some hash browns. The results were excellent even though my griddle didn't give me a good flip on the hash browns. I am, hence forth, going to use this method for making home made hash browns.

Thanks for following me along for the journey to my version of perfect hash browns. 🧑‍🍳 :emoji_sunglasses:

JC :emoji_cat:

Attachments

• Baked spuds.jpg
    Baked spuds.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Grated spuds.jpg
    Grated spuds.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Spuds on griddle.jpg
    Spuds on griddle.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Spuds flipped.jpg
    Spuds flipped.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Spuds on plate.jpg
    Spuds on plate.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
What happens when potato starch gelatanizes?

Sorry for the delay in replying. As far as I know this is what happens.

Starch particles inside the potato swell and burst and will absorb water.

This will also force the molecules apart making the potato fluffier.

The reason I decided to use this technique over raw grated potatoes is that when the starch gelatinizes, the potato shreds no longer stick together.

This was my biggest issue with raw fried hash browns.

Amazing! Thanks for doing all the edible "hard work".
Never had Bud Willman's hash browns but I don't need to.
These look perfect.

Don

• Love
Reactions: JC in GB
I know I said I was done but after digesting some things that zwiller zwiller said, I had to give it another go. So, here is what I did in this iteration of my quest for the "perfect hash browns".

zwiller zwiller commented about holding the starch at gelatinization temperature for a longer duration but not exceeding the gelatinization temperature. This got my wheels turning. (Picture sight and sound of over weight hamster on squeaky exercise wheel.) :emoji_laughing:

I got 2 spuds ready to go and baked them at 375 F in my convection oven and got them to internal temp of 159 F.

I then pulled them and wrapped them in a couple dish towels and let them cool on the counter for a few hours before placing them in the fridge.

Next morning, I peeled, grated and cooked as I did previously in this thread.

The ends were a bit soft from the extra cook but they shredded up very nicely.

I thought I had gotten the perfect cook on these but this method was even better. Thanks to zwiller zwiller for getting that hamster wheel a spinnin'! 😂🧑‍🍳

I think this iteration brought me to near hash brown perfection. I will be using this method hence forth.

One last note. I have been looking for a grater that had slightly wider shred holes for my potatoes. I think I found what I was looking for on Amazon. I will know when it arrives today. If the grater is different that what I have, I will post some pics of my next hash brown cook. I am hoping to get the Bud Willman's taste with the Waffle House texture.

Thanks for following along.

JC, I don't remember, and I don't really want to look thru 46 posts to see if it has already been suggested. Have you tried squeezing the shredded potatoes with a ricer before cooking them?

Chris

JC, I don't remember, and I don't really want to look thru 46 posts to see if it has already been suggested. Have you tried squeezing the shredded potatoes with a ricer before cooking them?

Chris

I have done that when I was using raw potatoes. It worked well enough but I wasn't pleased with the flavor and texture of that method. That is why I moved on to par cooking the spuds.

Thanks for the reply though. :emoji_sunglasses:

Reactions: gmc2003
Great update! I have one too. Forgot... I did SV some. 158F for 1hr. Fail. Way too much moisture still in them I think. Zero browning overnight and texture/shred was great. I was super excited, lots of moisure loss in the SV bag/shred went awesome. It was totally bizarre. The absolutely would not stick together. Looked pretty tho LOL. I think I need to shred right after the SV and let cool/dry. On the to do list. Also plan to try 185F and also to weigh and see what type of loss I get or need. EDIT/note to self. Another test 158F for like 4-8hrs.

20230226_081408_resized.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky