Has The Economy Effected Your BBQ Decisions?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
It has affected what and how much I cook...briskets have gone through the roof...saw one today at Sam's club...it was 54 bucks..and was not even prime.  Lots of chicken...and meatloaf on the smoker..  I am also hoping for the 5 dollars for 2  bags of charcoal from Home depot again...i bought enough to last the whole summer last year.

My parents lived through the depression.

They were self reliant people and they taught me self reliance.

Because of my wonderful parents, I am somewhat prepared to go through these times.  I now see why they pounded things into my head that I thought I didn't need to learn.

I blame nobody  for the times we are in.  Business cycles will happen as they always have.  I do think there are things going on now that are unnecessarily extending this recession.

But I was taught to prepare for that.  We can all get along on less.  Maybe even live better and be better for it.

I certainly am not ready to ask another man to give up his for mine!

If nothing else, this forum gives people the skills to stretch the food budget, even when smoking might not be involved. 

Grab your family and give them a hug!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
Even though i havent smoked anything yet.....It is still cheaper to use my gas grill (propane) or my crock-pot (electricity) than it is to use my oven for more than an hour...pse&g is rediculous with the price they charge to heat my home and cook in my oven.

on the other side of the spectrum, meat prices are higher in the last couple of months and its been a struggle, we are eating a lot of chicken these days.

For me, yes.  I am lucky to have access to property that has several hickory trees and tons of oak.   Lump has skyrocketed where i live so like others i have just started my fire earlier using sticks.  I buy meat on sale and stock up - this is a change for me because I used to never freeze meat I was smoking but discovered everyone loved it (including me) every bit as good as the fresh meat.  In hindsight that was a silly thing to do and I never took advantage of sales.   Starting a bigger garden this spring.  Baby steps towards becoming more self sufficient :)

I am close to going in with a few friends to buy a whole cow and splitting the meat (wish I had the means to raise my own!)

I find myself trying new recipes with less expensive meats. Just made chicken, Monterey Jack stuffed Poblano chili's tonight. I've had several times where I've gone in to the grocery store to buy a steak or some other cut of beef, only to walk out with chicken.

I want to do a Brisket but will probably wait for a special occasion to do that. Just too darn $$ right now....same goes for chicken wings.

For now it's country ribs and chicken quarters!

Yeah, that's why I haven't been posting...darn meat prices are killing me. The Road Kill is even disapearing quicker
cool.gif
. Saw a guy the other day hit a Deer. He was out of that truck like a Duck on a JuneBug.Tossed it in the back of his P/U and sped off.    Figures, couldn't have been me...
icon_evil.gif

There are so many things that play into food costs going up.  Gas prices all the way to the drought in our area with the corn fields.  I see the economy lacking in my shop.  Sales have slipped big time from last year.  Quilting is a hobby now..not a "have to" thing.

I have started canning again. Trying to gather the things my Grand Parents taught me about food preservation, gardening etc....  Trying to  "put things up" for use later. 

I try to do the coupon thing.  But..I end up spending more.  So..if there is one for a product we do use...I cut it that coupon and use it.  Dont get how these folks are getting out with not spending any money at the stores.  None of what I have seen on the TV food wise is healthy!  No fresh veggies or fruits...no meats (Canned)..no eggs....all of it is crap food.  Not healthy for a growing family.

We will all make it thru.  We need to take care of our families...friends and neighbors too.  I for one feel SMF is family!
redface.gif
  We have each other in good times and bad!

Last edited:
There are so many things that play into food costs going up.  Gas prices all the way to the drought in our area with the corn fields.  I see the economy lacking in my shop.  Sales have slipped big time from last year.  Quilting is a hobby now..not a "have to" thing.

I have started canning again. Trying to gather the things my Grand Parents taught me about food preservation, gardening etc....  Trying to  "put things up" for use later. 

I try to do the coupon thing.  But..I end up spending more.  So..if there is one for a product we do use...I cut it that coupon and use it.  Dont get how these folks are getting out with not spending any money at the stores.  None of what I have seen on the TV food wise is healthy!  No fresh veggies or fruits...no meats (Canned)..no eggs....all of it is crap food.  Not healthy for a growing family.

We will all make it thru.  We need to take care of our families...friends and neighbors too.  I for one feel SMF is family!
redface.gif

Yeah, quilting is a luxury hobby now. Can't beat those dirt cheap quilts coming out of China.

But, every time a friend or family member has a baby, I gotta make a heirloom. :)

Going to a baby gender announcement party this Saturday. If it's a girl I'll be making an afghan. If it's a boy, I'll be making a quilt. I hope it's a boy, because those afghans take a long time coming from me.

Back on topic, the current situation got me interested in BBQ.

I'm afraid in the future we'll be looking back on today's food prices as cheap.

Also, my hubs started hunting. Thank goodness he got in to it before the recent tragedies, prices have skyrocketed at least 300%.

Next on the agenda is gardening and canning.

My parents lived through the depression.

They were self reliant people and they taught me self reliance.

Because of my wonderful parents, I am somewhat prepared to go through these times.  I now see why they pounded things into my head that I thought I didn't need to learn.

I blame nobody  for the times we are in.  Business cycles will happen as they always have.  I do think there are things going on now that are unnecessarily extending this recession.

But I was taught to prepare for that.  We can all get along on less.  Maybe even live better and be better for it.

I certainly am not ready to ask another man to give up his for mine!

If nothing else, this forum gives people the skills to stretch the food budget, even when smoking might not be involved. 

Grab your family and give them a hug!

Good luck and good smoking.
Sir, you are 100% correct.  Well stated, and I bet your parents have been proud of how you have taken responsibility for yourself.

The economy is doing exactly what it will, which is what it does every time there is too much debt in the system.  People (and governments) have to pay it off and the only way to do it successfully is to cut back.  Unfortunately it means people get laid off or gets pay cut in the process, and things seem to go up at the same time.  Fortunately, we can see it coming and what it is doing if we look.

We are fortunate enough to kill most of our own meat.  Deer in season and wild hogs anytime.  Lots of feral hogs.  IOW, even though we dont pay for it, we have to WORK for it.  This is especially true when we get the call on a Sat night "you want this pig we hit/killed?" or "there are hogs over here" and it we have something else planned, but it has to be gutted and strung up.  We have chickens, but we can those - they seem to much go further that way (soups, etc).  When we buy chicken it is on sale and off-cuts. We will butcher a cow every year or so but it has to be weighed out - if we take it to the butcher we dont get money for it.  So what we end up doing is taking the sorriest ones to the butcher and selling the best; we still end up saving more money this way than buying meat at the store and selling the sorry slaughter steers. 

In the past few years I have taken to training other men to shoot, trap, hunt, process and cook game.  The whole process isn't as common as you would think anymore - most people will just shoot it (poorly), pull the guts out in a very sloppy manner and take it to someone.  When they get to the point that they can do it on thier own I have seen them really feel better about the control they have, as well as thier status as the head of the household.  Small thing, huge effect.

I have also taken to hunting for others who cannot and are short on funds.  I dont do this often, and most of the time they have to have some skin in the game (call this a lesson learned).

All that said, we need a garden.  And I suck at gardening...

Linepipe

If not for the poor economy and paralyzing health care costs I would have never even thought about smoking.  I relied on going to BBQ joints for my fixin but as the wallet crunch occurred I have had to cut back on that.  I have had one steak in a year and have used whatever cheap cuts I can find but as someone mentioned that is how BBQ was invented.  While I do not have the money for all of the cuts or supplies I need it is cheaper than going out and paying $20+ dollars a plate for BBQ.  Now there is so many meat head Politicians, Bankers and Lawyers out there we should smoke them but not even low and slow will make them good:)

Nothing really has changed for me. I'm still using my inexpensive smokers (a craig's list Weber Performer I usually use, and a five-year-old Brinkman I don't use very often.) I still stock up on charcoal when it's cheap, and I only use KBB for smoking. When meat or poultry are on sale, I buy an extra and put it in the freezer.  It's always been a fairly inexpensive hobby for me, but in the long run, making a 9 lb pork shoulder makes enough food to feed my wife and I for a long, long time.

I never jump on the bandwagon buying new rubs or gadgets, but that's just the way I am in all of my hobbies. If I've got something that works I don't replace it (even though I sometimes really would like to).

The screwed up economy has taken a toll on everyone in one way of another.

I find I'm smoking less Brisket and Butts and more Bologna and Chicken.  When I smoke now days I like to totally fill my smoker.

Sometimes I smoke several meat loafs with my other meats I'm smoking. I baste them in the last 30 minutes with BBQ sauce cut with Coffee,

and they are fantastic.

I sometimes fill a D.O. with Pinto beans and smoked sausages and cook them in my smoker while I'm doing meats.

Wild Boar, and Deer supplement my BOGO smoking meats.

I'm smoking a few less of my favorites. RIBS... (Thats a shame)

Linguica, for those that can I think you are spot on. Some people around me have turned those pigs into a side business and one guy I know does it full time. They make money at it will relatively low cost and get a lot of meat essentially for free.

I have read about those who went through the Great Depression and talked to a bunch of them. Every single one had to get good at resourcefulness and ingenuity. Most of the folks in the country trapped their food to some degree, some totally and others to supplement what they could afford to raise.

Not saying that we are going through times that hard, but those traits and ways of thinking are useful tools, especially when the belt gets tight. Protein is the most expensive thing at the store, and is going to prolly get more so since the drought has caused a shortage of feeder cattle - at least here in Texas. One of the packet plants in the panhandle just laid off a bunch of people just for this reason.

Politics aside, we are in hard times. When 60 to 70 year olds have to compete with teenagers for entry level jobs and a lot of hard working and people that have saved diligently their whole live say the can probably never retire, times are hard.

It has hit me hard.  I went from massive OT to no OT.  We were saving for a new house and now almost living paycheck to paycheck (trying to to touch the new house fund).

I was able to smoke almost every weekend and now I have only smoked once since the start of the year.  I was fortunate to get some decent cuts last year and stash them in the freezer and stocked up on the home depot KBB deals last year. I am just trying to make what cuts and charcoal I have stretch until we are sitting better.  

The only bright spot, is that I finally saved enough to get a new pellet pooper smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky