Has anyone put "Bears" peperoni sticks in casings?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

backwoodssmoker

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Northern Michigan
Just wondering if anyone has put Bears sticks in casings and if so did they turn out good.  I have the stuff to do them in casings, just want to know if it alters them much. Thanks

Bear did it for a reason, MORE SMOKE!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

I understand the reasoning more smoke. I just thought stuffin them might be less work if it didn't alter them much. BUT !!!!  My equipment was a # 32 grinder w/pully so it could be motorized, which it wasn't.  I had a 3/8 tube on it. I do have to say this was my first time trying to use the grinder for a stuffer. WELL it will never be attempted again. I will buy a dedicated stuffer or jerky gun. To the other newbies like me don't waste your time. I can't say how well a motorized grinder or kitchen aid adapter would work but I see why they make dedicated stuffers. Well to make it short, cleaned out the grinder, rolled between wax paper, rolled into rounds.  Ready to smoke.

icon_cool.gif

I would say that you can put Bear's sausage in casing and if you ever made sausage you know that the casings are really thin and I really don't think that the casings will stop any smokey flavor.

I do that with everything:

I remove the skin from Salmon, before smoking.

I remove the skin/rind from Bacon, before smoking.

I make my Pepperoni, Summer sausage, and meat sticks without skin/casings to get more smoke to the meat.

Maybe it's all in my head, but so are my taste buds. 
wink.gif

It's probably not a huge difference, but I am truly a "Smoke Hound"!

Bear

Just pulled my first sticks of Bears out of the smoker and they are very good. I put most of them in 19mm casings but ran out and just shot the remainder onto the rack out of a 3/8 tube.

Used cherry to give a light smoke and can not tell the difference between the two. Follow the rescipe and I don't think you can go wrong. Thanks Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky