Has anyone built a combo smokehouse/pizza oven?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bob95065

Original poster
Dec 19, 2013
Has anyone here designed and built a dual purpose wood fired smokehouse and pizza oven? What I have in mind is to build a wood fired smokehouse similar to the one archeryrob built. He has lots of pictures here: https://archeryrob.wordpress.com/?s=smokehouse&submit=Search

Over the firebox I could build a wood-fired pizza oven. has anyone tried this?
A smokehouse like Rob's would be something I could build and I heat our home with wood so I always have plenty of fuel available. My wife would like the pizza oven too. It would make sense to build them both in one place to save time and money.

Please let me know if anyone has done this and post links or pictures if you have them.

Thanks,

Bob

Thanks for sharing and I have been thinking of rebuilding the firehouse into a larger box to include a 2nd story oven. Details have not come to a full plan though. I need to lean more about masonry and the affects of heat at higher temperatures. I used S motar and its done good where the fire brick is but cracked above it. That fire motor is damn expensive and S motor seems to be fine when protected by fire brick, but I'd like a masons advice. .

My thought was to dome the fire box bottom in fire brick and extend the chimney up. Then build the oven over top and have dampers on the chimney and smokehouse. How, I am not sure yet and haven't spend much time on it, yet. Maybe cooking pizza, but I want a large smokey oven for cooking chickens and turkeys.

I just poured a 3x4 concrete pad next to my original 3x4' pad and plan to use the entire 3x4 original pad for the newer oven/firebox. I am interested to see where this goes. Thanks for bringing this up. Hunting sucks as they are logging the farm next to the one I hunt, so I am off and might read up some on this now.

I watched this video a while back and he made a pizza oven and used the oven as his smoker also. Its cool, but that look really expensive.

I have started reading on Forno Bravo message board and trying to get info. My first recollections might be
1. the entire inside needs to be clay pipe or fire brick.
2. Then you need to use Perlite mixed with mortar to insulate around the oven and fire box. Outside brick over that, or perlite stuffed between.
3. You can make what they call Homebrew mortar and save money making the oven and fire box. 3 (Fine Sand):1 (Hydrated Lime):1(Portland Cement) :1 (Fire Clay) as the mortar, but make small batches with cold water as it sets quick and some one said dip bricks in water and let air a little. I used S motor and it works but got some cracks. This sound cheap enough

My follow up so far is I was told my plan to build a arched roof over the fire box could lead to failure. They said those kind of walls need buttressing (side bracing) Bricks stacked in a line sideways to stiffen the side walls.

I'm still thinking, let me know if you find anything else out.

Buttressing examples
arch_pressure_compare.jpg

Rob,

That video was perfect. His oven/smoker is very impressive.

He didn't need to add buttresses because his oven is domed. You are proposing straight walls with a domed ceiling so you would need buttressing.

I want to have a wood smokehouse like your design with a pizza oven. Now that I saw this video I am starting to think I am better off making the smokehouse and oven separate.

Yea, after I saw the price of all that fire brick I thought about making a seperate one also, out of earth as in Cob. Then just putting a Tin roof over it in color.

I helped some friends replace old wood stoves with newer stoves the last couple of years. I took the old stoves in to a scrap yard for cash. before I brought them in a harvested the fire brick out and hung on to it. They aren't as thick as the bricks in the video but i figure they would work for the firebox for the smokehouse I would like to build.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky