Ham steaks/Butt bacon -> Apple Mole

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hamdrew

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 17, 2021
Don't wanna forget this one..

Yesterday-
rawhamsteaks.jpg

90minhamsteaks.jpg

Just Hickory, RO Lump, and ~90min

foilhat.jpg

Couldn't be bothered to get out and weigh down the whole umbrella for <1hr forecast sprinkles (It actually poured for a few minutes, and took down the temp to ~180*F)

3hrHam2.jpg

~3hr in

oven.jpg

~4hrs in the actual storm started moving in, so I threw them in the oven at 200*F for another hour til I wanted to eat

finHamstake1.jpg

finham2.jpg

Today-
goodmolay.jpg

mole1.jpg

mole2.jpg

(Many more Pasillas, NM's, and a few Cascabel's; i.e. mild chiles to start)

mole3.jpg

Sliced up some of yesterday's ham while..

mole4.jpg

This came out of the oven and started simmering. Not pictured: Cider vinegar and vegetable broth

mole5.jpg

Roughly puree'd with the "pulse" setting

mole6.jpg

Took this pic to get an idea of my desired ratios. That's two cans of beans, and unfortunately all the ham I had left or I'd have used twice that. Dark spots are the chocolate; that much coverage for the whole skillet (not just that corner)

mole7.jpg

Everybody swimming. More pepper, salt (I used MSG/Accent), vinegar/hot sauce, and chile de arbols (or whatever hot chiles) to taste

mole8.jpg

Some nice lightly used grease from my last fry, using little hotdog tongs and a spatula to flip and hold together. Garnish with onions (i used green) and cilantro.

mole9.jpg

Glad I have leftovers to make crunchwraps for lunch! [Fry a corn tortilla for the middle, XL/burrito grande flour tortilla wrap, start seam-side down]

Attachments

• 3hrHamsteak.jpg
    3hrHamsteak.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky