Ham Steaks and Hocks

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
Another batch of hams and hocks today. It’s windy and warm so we will see how this goes. Warm smoke 130-140* cherry and pecan as usual. We have one more sow to butcher soon before temps get too warm so will be a rush to get those bacons and hams done.

E60E12BA-B66F-4C77-9982-BC61B52328D8.jpeg

Looks like your off to a fine start.

Point for sure
Chris

I fought wind all day. Anybody who says wind is not a factor in smoking meat in a smokehouse has never done it. Sustained 30-35mph winds with gusts to 40-45mph, and here in the mountains that means swirling wind. My fire blew out 4 times and I just could not keep consistent smoke. I was pissed all day cursing that wind.

All that said, we pushed through for 12 hours of total time of warm smoke. I thought about another round tomorrow but, more wind, so this is the finished product. Not my best, but battling 75* ambient and those damn winds, I’ll call this good. Thanks for looking and for the likes. Keep rolling smoke folks, rain or shine it can be done.

7546A449-D10D-4DDB-AFE1-441D60C46079.jpeg

60250E4D-5D6E-442A-B2E9-85AD3F34BAD9.jpeg

CEA3573A-E905-4C01-BFE4-218D59F73A84.jpeg

D3F35218-2646-4254-9855-B3C48ED0E560.jpeg

Sorry it was an all day fight with the weather, but they did get some real nice color, and they look delicious.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Sorry it was an all day fight with the weather, but they did get some real nice color, and they look delicious.
Thanks Doug. Yes they are acceptable and will be delicious. Starting out this morning I knew it would be a fight. I posted this thread for that reason. Endure to persevere. These are for Easter. I got them done, that’s the important thing. The hocks are just for soups and beans.

Looks awesome to me. Great Color. You never learn anything new when it is easy....only though challenges to your skill set. Glad you got it done.

On your propane burner-are you running 1 or 2 rows of jets? I find choking the flow back to 1 row of jets really helps out in the wind to prevent blowouts.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks awesome to me. Great Color. You never learn anything new when it is easy....only though challenges to your skill set. Glad you got it done.

On your propane burner-are you running 1 or 2 rows of jets? I find choking the flow back to 1 row of jets really helps out in the wind to prevent blowouts.
This is a fairly old burner. It has elongated holes around the perimeter, more on the side, no holes on top. I’m seriously thinking I need to change my burner set up.

Reactions: indaswamp
Those look like beauties to me! Very nice work.
Thank you Sven. I’m going to have to change my process a little. Seems more and more I’m smoking in the spring and summer months these days, it’s not as easy to do right as is in winter.

Outstanding color on that pork Eric. Nice work as usual bud
Thank you Jake. That cherry/pecan does a great job.

Way to hang tough, some gorgeous work there! RAY
I appreciate the kind words Ray. Thank you for stopping by.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky