ham & beans, chicken/ham wild rice casserole, and AMAZING chicken broth

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

trikefreak

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 21, 2013
Tossed a half ham from the pig that was raised this year, and a couple chickens. Boiled the chickens afterwards to make up a bunch of smokey chicken broth. Got half the ham broken down and going into a huge pot of beans. Rest of the ham, and some of the chicken, is getting ready to go into a wild rice casserole. I LOVE smoking something every weekend!

After about 6 weeks now, it's time to figure out how to get more heat out of my Masterbuilt horizontal smoker. It will hold about 200 degrees with a full load like this. I've never opened the smoke stack vent, maybe that's where I'm limiting my heat. No complaints thus far, but would be nice to kick it up a notch to finish off the meats a little quicker.

Last edited:

Tossed a half ham from the pig that was raised this year, and a couple chickens. Boiled the chickens afterwards to make up a bunch of smokey chicken broth. Got half the ham broken down and going into a huge pot of beans. Rest of the ham, and some of the chicken, is getting ready to go into a wild rice casserole. I LOVE smoking something every weekend!

After about 6 weeks now, it's time to figure out how to get more heat out of my Masterbuilt horizontal smoker. It will hold about 200 degrees with a full load like this. I've never opened the smoke stack vent, maybe that's where I'm limiting my heat. No complaints thus far, but would be nice to kick it up a notch to finish off the meats a little quicker.

You should have your top vent wide open. Then control heat with bottom vent. Have you checked your temp Gage for accuracy?

Everything looks good so far.

Happy smoken.

David

Thanks for the words of advice! I'm new to the dedicated smoker, and learning everything the hard way. I will take your advice with the top smoke vent when I toss a turkey and duck on later this week.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky