Halupkis or Galumpkis or Cabbage Rolls...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Gonna Smoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 19, 2018
South Carolina
...were on the menu yesterday. I had bought the cabbage with the intention of making kraut, but decided to go a different direction. In the past I've made Joe's, xray xray , grandmother's recipe which was shared here by Robert, tx smoker tx smoker . Not having all the necessary ingredients and not wanting to run to the store, I looked at most of the threads on here about cabbage rolls and decided on a combination. Since there appears to be no formal rules and trying to use what I had on hand, I loosely followed recipes found here and here.

Let's get started...
First was to boil the cabbage and remove the leaves. Two heads ready to go...
20230107_160957[1].jpg

In a pot, I sauted a couple of cloves of crushed garlic until fragrant then added 2 cans of crushed tomatoes. Simmered for a few minutes then added 1 heaping TBSP of sugar. Stirred and removed from the heat...
20230107_163143[1].jpg

Now for the sauce. Sauted a couple cloves of chopped garlic and 1 yellow onion chopped until tender. Added some red wine, 2 TBSP of tomato paste, and a cup of the tomato sauce above. Stir and call that done...
20230107_163725[1].jpg

20230107_164412[1].jpg

20230107_164543[1].jpg

After that I mixed 1 lb. of 70/30 burger with 1½ lbs. of venison sausage, 2 eggs, about 2 cups of cooked rice which I already had, and the onion/garlic sauce above. I used the 70/30 because I had it and I knew the venison sausage was maybe a little too lean...
20230107_164721[1].jpg

20230107_165148[1].jpg

Mixed by hand...
20230107_165259[1].jpg

Next I lined a baking dish with some of the leftover cabbage leaves and started stuffing the big leaves....
20230107_165719[1].jpg

I used a 1/3 cup in each...
20230107_165939[1].jpg

20230107_171108[1].jpg

Poured the rest of the sauce over them, covered with the remaining cabbage leaves, drizzle of EVOO all around, and into a 350℉ oven for an hour or so until the I.T. was around 180℉...
20230107_171201[1].jpg

20230107_171425[1].jpg

Remove the top layer of leaves and they're done...
20230107_182913[1].jpg

20230107_183113[1].jpg

Served with my favorite canned green beans, Hanover Beans and Potatoes...
1673186126762.png

Time to eat...
20230107_184652[1].jpg

This recipe mostly follows the one I found in a thread here that originated on the Food Network. xray xray 's recipe, which I really wanted to make, wasn't an option because I didn't have any kraut or tomato soup. So I backed up and punted, but I'm happy with the outcome. If you've never tried the green beans, they're packed in a ham flavored sauce and really are good. Great to have in the cabinet for those times...:emoji_wink:

Now I have to go buy some more cabbage to make kraut for the next time...

Wow Charles, you crushed that meal buddy. Just outstanding. I'd be willing to bet that xray xray would probably agree that there are as many different ways to prepare this meal as there are people making it. Being able to drop back 10 and punt can make all the difference...either you make the meal or you don't. You certainly made this one count. Very well done my friend.

Robert

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Looks great!! I love the flavors. My buddy dropped off a big bowl of stuffed cabbage soup. I have made a spin on xray xray recioe with my homemade soup and kraut.

Fine job there! I would dig into that elbow deep.
My grandparents on my mom's side immigrated here from Russia. I grew up on a steady diet of halupkis. They vary by name depending on who makes them.
One thing I might recommend is to not boil the cabbage but put it over a good steam, like in a pasta pot with the basket, and the leaves will fall off when they are just right. This will keep them a little more crispy and colorful!

Wow Charles, you crushed that meal buddy. Just outstanding. I'd be willing to bet that xray xray would probably agree that there are as many different ways to prepare this meal as there are people making it. Being able to drop back 10 and punt can make all the difference...either you make the meal or you don't. You certainly made this one count. Very well done my friend.

Robert
Thank you my friend!!

Looks great!! I love the flavors. My buddy dropped off a big bowl of stuffed cabbage soup. I have made a spin on xray xray recioe with my homemade soup and kraut.
Thank you, Jeff! When I bought the cabbage, my intent was to make kraut to replenish my stock. But not having planned a meal and the cabbage being in the fridge, I made do with what I had. The meat was vacuum sealed so it was quick and easy to thaw in a sink of water. That and a little searching on here gave me the idea...

Reactions: jcam222
Fine job there! I would dig into that elbow deep.
My grandparents on my mom's side immigrated here from Russia. I grew up on a steady diet of halupkis. They vary by name depending on who makes them.
One thing I might recommend is to not boil the cabbage but put it over a good steam, like in a pasta pot with the basket, and the leaves will fall off when they are just right. This will keep them a little more crispy and colorful!
I will definitely try that next time, thanks!!

Nice write up, and what a delicious looking meal. Excellent work.
Thank you!! I try hard to be thorough just in case someone else wants to make one of my meals themselves. Sometimes I think I get a little long winded, too much detail, and too many pictures. But I try...

That looks killer Charles, I'd be all over that plate! I have a Hungarian bud who's mama would make Halupki and rabbit stew for lunch, was incredible. RAY

Great job on those Halupki, Charles! There has to be a hundred different ways of making them, and I’m sure my nana’s way of using tomato soup was born out necessity too. But I grew up on them, so that way is how I always preferred them.

They look excellent and I’d belly up to a plateful of yours! Nicely done!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky