Had to try my hand

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jac63

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 6, 2016
Central MO
My wife has made "pepper poppers" in the oven but this was my first attempt at ABTs. Weren't perfect but the taste was excellent. The bacon wrapping could stand improvement and I was worried about getting it crisp but somehow it got a little too much crisp on some of them. Also made some bacon, onion, mushroom, swiss stuffed burgers to go along with the ABTs. Overall the meal was a success despite the bacon shortcomings.
20190622_180503.jpg
20190622_180921.jpg

Don't see many shortcomings there... I see one tasty meal! ABT's are awesome and a fam fav!! Nice job!

Reactions: jac63
What is this "too much crisp" you speak of?

I know not that term in relation to abt's. Please to educate.

Haha just kidding. I think they look great. It's like anything else, takes practice. I make sure to buy the crappy store brand bacon because it's so thin cut. I get a better stretch on the pieces that way.

Yeah, I'd say the meal was a success. The stuffed burgers look great. The ABTs might not be real pretty, but I bet they tasted just fine. Nice job.
POINT
Gary
Thanks, not pretty but oh the flavor!

Don't see many shortcomings there... I see one tasty meal! ABT's are awesome and a fam fav!! Nice job!
Thanks, but dad was right, there's always room for improvement. The most important part was there, just need some presentation work.

What is this "too much crisp" you speak of?

I know not that term in relation to abt's. Please to educate.

Haha just kidding. I think they look great. It's like anything else, takes practice. I make sure to buy the crappy store brand bacon because it's so thin cut. I get a better stretch on the pieces that way.
Thank you, I blame my wife, she did the wrapping. Funny how her Christmas presents are always flawless but not so the bacon!

Reactions: Fueling Around
''Thanks, but dad was right, there's always room for improvement. The most important part was there, just need some presentation work.''

True, always room for improvement... however, be proud of your accomplishments... and build on them!

I've been Q'ing for well over 20 years and still learning... always looking to improve.

Thanks, but dad was right, there's always room for improvement. The most important part was there, just need some presentation work.

Thank you, I blame my wife, she did the wrapping. Funny how her Christmas presents are always flawless but not so the bacon!

That's funny, I can wrap pert near anything in bacon, yet my Christmas presents look awful.

Funny how that is

I make sure to buy the crappy store brand bacon because it's so thin cut. I get a better stretch on the pieces that way.

Me too. If I don't have any thin cut, I lay the bacon out on wax paper and "thin" each piece out with a rolling pin--end up with about double the number of slices in a pound.
Gary

Pretty isn't everything when it comes to food.
I would not want to try some of the "pretty" food photos you find posted on many websites.
I would gladly eat your food if you invited me over for supper.

I make another version of stuffed jalapenos. I put bacon bits in the cheese stuffing. Peppers cooked in a vertical rack with indirect heat and a good smoke.

Pretty isn't everything when it comes to food.
I would not want to try some of the "pretty" food photos you find posted on many websites.
I would gladly eat your food if you invited me over for supper.

I make another version of stuffed jalapenos. I put bacon bits in the cheese stuffing. Peppers cooked in a vertical rack with indirect heat and a good smoke.
Thank you, I certainly agree that flavor over looks is most important.
These had bacon and green onions diced in the cream cheese and they were definitely tasty enough, no left overs.

Thank you, I certainly agree that flavor over looks is most important.
... they were definitely tasty enough, no left overs.
That's the money post.
I did fajita for the first time in a cast iron skillet on the Brinkmann charcoal side of the offset last night. I purposely make extra of most things cooked on the grill for left overs. Didn't last long. Wife finished it off tonight while I was doing yard work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky