Had to Try it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe, looks like you've been busy.  So, how's the bacon coming along?

Got into Denver area during evening rush hour and only have 2 words to use and since this is a family site, I won't use them here. 

My grandson is now a certified mountain diesel truck driver (since he shared the driving) and now we're going to work on his grilling and Q'ing skills. Gotta brush up on ABT's.  He's got the desire, just have to find the right incentives.  Hey, we're working 3rd gens family smokers now.  Dnvrdv will be chiming in, I'm sure.

The cracklin   look yummy and with a good 
2485898a_th_44.gif
  it will be
9567e5b3_thumbs.gif

Thanks for the comments about the Rinds, they were GREAT.

Dave, glad to hear you made it safe and sound.  Look forward to your return, and that other "Smokin" forum is still having trouble.

Now for the rest of the story;

Let the Bacon rest in the fridge for 6 days, turned it and massaged it every day.  On day 6 I took it out, rinsed it off and into an ice water soak for 1 hour.  When I did the fry test I had the heat up just a tad to much so it burned, but there was NO salt taste to the bacon.

05a26e74_IMG_3207.jpg

Out of the soak and ready for the smoker, one with the toothpick was done with Apple Juice added.

c6eb2de8_IMG_3209.jpg

Fry Test, got the slices a bit thick, but they were good.

0e0d56e5_IMG_3211.jpg

Lite the A-Maze-N Pellet smoker and into the GOSM.  Took 45 seconds to light with my Heat Gun.

e10ea6f9_IMG_3212.jpg

At 5 hours I added a batch of Cheese, Mozzarella Sticks and Havarti

dd676dc3_IMG_3213.jpg

6 1/2 hours, took the Cheese out, Probed the meat, and started the GOSM on low.  Left the smoke going also.

b0f3d030_IMG_3215.jpg

about 8 1/2 hours, internal temperature hit 130, so outta the GOSM, cooled and into the fridge.

18b5cfc8_IMG_3216.jpg

This morning I put it into the Freezer for a while and then Sliced it up.  Cooked up a small batch for Breakfast and decided this is gonna happen a lot more in the future.

Now to get another batch of Home Made Wine in the bottles and sit back and relax the rest of the day.

Joe

I did some more with the skin yesterday.  Since the end product came out REALLY good here is what I've done with it.  Sorry not a lot of pic's.

After cutting the skin off the belly pieces I boiled it for about an hour.  Then put it on a cooling rack and into the fridge for a couple of hours.  I put a cookie sheet under them to catch any drippings and save a mess in the fridge.  Then took them out and with a spoon I removed the remaining fat from the skin.  Not a hard procees, but a bit messy.  Then since I don't have a dehydrator I put them into the oven with the temperature set at 170, lowest mine will go. Again I had them on the cooling rack with a Cookie Sheet under it to catch the drippings.  Took about 10 hours to dry them till they were hard and brittle.  Bagged them and into the fridge till I had time to mess with them.  So late yesterday morning I poured a bit of Peanut Oil into the Fry Daddy and commenced to playing with them.

c27aae3e_IMG_3203.jpg

1 piece broken up ready to start frying, fryed 3 to 4 pieces at a time, they really blow up in size.

07ef8257_IMG_3204.jpg

Part way done, found the Bamboo Tongs worked better than the wire dip.  As they came out I added a bit of Sea Salt to them, 1 in 3 never made it into the bowl.
banana_smiley.gif

2427329e_IMG_3206.jpg

The final product.  After eating at least a third of them I ended up with about 4 oz of Pork Rinds.  That's about the same size as  a bag you would buy in the store.  Only these were way better.

Craig I can recommend this way of doing them, I will be doing more, way more.

Meat, thanks for the suggestion about the Sea Salt.  That worked out FANTASTIC on these.

Ok, back to my Bacon.  It comes out of the cure today, so will be soaking and fry testing later with a 5-6 hour cold smoke scheduled for tomorrow.

Joe
Ohhhh yeah!!

Thats what I'm talking about!!!

There is a difference betwenn rind and crackilns tho.. Cracklins are the product of the rendering process..just fat no rinds.

Craig

Cracklins...

d303a25d_001.jpg

Ohhhh yeah!!

Thats what I'm talking about!!!

There is a difference betwenn rind and crackilns tho.. Cracklins are the product of the rendering process..just fat no rinds.

Craig

Cracklins...

d303a25d_001.jpg
Hey Craig,

I can see some Cracklins in my future also.

Joe

Hey Joe!!!

Your Bacon looks GREAT !!!

I hope you don't mind----I zoomed in on that BearView of the sliced up Bacon!!!

I didn't leave any footprints on it !

Thanks,

Bear

Hey Joe!!!

Your Bacon looks GREAT !!!

I hope you don't mind----I zoomed in on that BearView of the sliced up Bacon!!!

I didn't leave any footprints on it !

Thanks,

Bear
Thanks Bear,
icon_redface.gif

I made a lot of mistakes with this batch, but it still came out GREAT.   I'll be doing a lot more real soon.  Dang it I'm prolly gonna have to get a bigger freezer now to hold everything you guys have got me trying.
icon_razz.gif

Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky