Had time to smoke the last couple days, the end results are some delicous chuck roast and some sharp

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jayskibum

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2013
Vermont
So I had some trouble with my AMNPS and my MES 30 the last time I smoked.  Purchased a 3" elbow from the hardware store.  Removed the original damper and made my own custom tin foil damper.

AMNPS worked perfectly this time around and everything turned out great.

Started with a 2.5 lb boneless chuck roast.  Washed it and rubbed it down with a store bought steak rub

The meat

The Rub.  Absolutely delicious I might add

The meat rubbed and ready to go.  I didn't wrap this one and let it set in the fridge.  Put the rub on it and let it set well I got the smoker up to temp and the AMNPS smoking and in place.  I used a 50/50 mix of maple/hickory pellets

I smoked the roast @ 235F for approx. 4 to 4.5.  It was coming along nicely and we hit the dreaded stall.  Had some friends over for dinner so instead of waiting it out I pulled the roast put it in a pan, foiled, and placed it in the oven @ the same 235 F.  It was 20 F outside or I would have just placed it back in the smoker. 

Left the roast in the oven until it hit IT of 195 F.  Removed and wrapped until the IT dropped to 170 F.  Then removed and sliced and we enjoyed some delicious beef while watching the hockey game..

Getting ready to set for 30 min

Sliced and ready to be consumed. 

The next day I found myself with some free time and I had purchased 4 lbs of sharp cabot cheddar.  Might as well smoke it

4 lbs of delicious chedder cut up and ready to be smoked.

Used the AMNPS in my MES 30 with a 50/50 mix of Maple/Apple pellets.  I smoked them for approx. 3 to 3.5 hrs.  AMNPS went out and had to be relit hence the half hr range.  Not exactly sure when it went out.  This was my first attempt at smoking cheese.

The dark one was directly over the lit AMNPS and appear to have gotten a little extra smoke.  Happy with the end results.  A piece happened to fall off one of the blocks so I just had to try it.

Wrapped and labeled now into the fridge for the long 2 to 3 week wait.  Can't wait to get to try it.  Next on the list will be to prep and smoke some ribs for the super bowl but that will have to wait until Sunday

Thank ya.  Wish there was still some chuckie left we ate it all.  Might have to make another

Do two next time. It disappears like pp here.

Looks great.

I thought I was going to be eating the whole thing by myself so it appeared to be plenty.  But while it was smoking a couple friends stopped by and I invited them to stay for dinner so it all disappeared.  It was good everyone enjoyed it and that's all that matters.  I had enough left for lunch today at least 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky