Ground Jerky Seasoning Amount

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
Making some Ground meat Bloody Mary Jerky. Tried of getting sliced stuck in my teeth. Do think you would use the same amount of seasoning as sliced? I have done this once but been long time and seemed like something was not right but not sure.

Is that an Owens mix ? I know when I had the High mountain kits they had different amounts for ground or whole muscle . Never really understood why . Maybe because it gets mixed in on the ground , and takes more for whole muscle ? I know that doesn't help .

Is that an Owens mix ? I know when I had the High mountain kits they had different amounts for ground or whole muscle . Never really understood why . Maybe because it gets mixed in on the ground , and takes more for whole muscle ? I know that doesn't help .
Its eXcalibur. Seems like I got it from Walton's.

Look where it says usage . States the same amounts .

Look where it says usage . States the same amounts .
I think I will go a little lite. Seems like it was to strong. Not sure about temp ramp. They go up to 175. I going to just do a 1 lb batch to test.

Stage 1 - 130° F 1 Hour with Dampers Wide Open
Stage 2 - 145° F 2 Hours W/ Dampers 2/3rds Closed
Stage 3 - 175° F Until Internal Temp Reaches 160°

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw
Making some Ground meat Bloody Mary Jerky. Tried of getting sliced stuck in my teeth. Do think you would use the same amount of seasoning as sliced? I have done this once but been long time and seemed like something was not right but not sure.
Here is a process that has worked well for me.

Try 2% seasoning to your total sausage weight.

Do a test patty and see how it tastes and work up.

I have found that 3% seems to be about the magic number or area for getting the flavor and salt right. So this leads me to believe that the seasonings often try to go around 2% salt and 1% sugar.
Or like 1.8% salt, 1% sugar, 0.2% everything else.

Give that a shot and when you think "it could use a little more salt" STOP. That is the key to NOT add anymore as juices will be lost and salt and flavors will become more pronounced :)

Let me know how this sounds :)

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky