grinding and making sausages

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

larry maddock

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 27, 2005
BOURBON,MISSOURI
yo to all dudes and dudettes

i use a charbroil electric h2o smoker

i have #8 porkert mincer/grinder.
my favorite plate is 1/4".
this unit has stuffing attachments.

i am fairly new to both smoking
and grinding meats..

i have a recipe that i use myself.
i have made a few changes in recipe to suit my self.

MY "POBAZZA"
=CROSS BETWEEN KIELBASSA AND POLISH SAUSAGE

IT IS GOOD AS FRESH [NOT SMOKED]---
SMOKING definetly IMPROVES
t=tea------tbl=table

this is it with my amendments
-- ground pork butt 3 1/2 lb------
--ground beef chuck 1 1/2 lb
2 1/2 t tender quick--
---1 tbl salt
1 1/2 t b pepper==-
------1 t rosemary
3 t marjoram--------
-------1 1/2 t savory
1 1/2 t allspice---
----1 tbl mustard seed
1 tbl carraway seed---
----2 tbl paprika
1 t msg------------
-----1 tbl sugar
4 t powder garlic----
----`1/2 t cayenne
1 cup red wine

put spices in wine -
then mix in with meat.

i stuff in dewied home pack natural casings.
i think these are 36mm.

this is one of my favorites.

i would be happy to try any amendments
that some thinks will improve this.

i sure hope i see some other peoples favorites here.

Thanks for the "POBAZZA" recipe Larry. When you smoke the sausage, what kind of wood do you use and how long do you smoke it? How long is each link? I think that 6 or 7 inch link would be perfect for filling a hotdog bun.

Oh Man! I can already see that this new thread is going to be alot of fun! I've been wanting to try my hand at homade sausage for some time now. So far, I've been smoking only store bought stuff, and its always the best tasting sausage I've ever had. I guess I'll have to invest in a good meat grinder! It's a good thing Christmas is coming soon and I still have time to drop several well placed hints to the wife... :twisted:

I'll admit that I don't really know much about grinders/sausage makers and what to look for as far as quality, features, etc...so any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Brian

yo, mr. earl-d
in my world [he he]
i use hickory chips in metal pie pan...

on pork and turkey i use hickory chips.....
on beef and chicken i use mesquite chips...

both of these products are available in local supermarket.
they run about $2.25 for 1 1/2 lb bag.

chunks dont smolder all the way thru on
my electric smoker.

i put pie pan right on heating element.

i get about an hour out of each pan.----3 hands full each pan.

i use 2 pans, one at a time, in my world.

so, by 3 hrs all wood is ashes.

3 hrs gets it pretty close to 145 degrees.---[the sausage]

i take it the rest of the way [162 degrees] with out wood.

my handmade links a like at about 5 inches.

this is just a personel preference.

i like kaiser rolls with mustard on my pobazza

Brian- I was fortunate to receive a KitchenAid Mixer from my Bride a couple of years ago for Christmas. The Mixer came with a coupon for a free attachment, so I sent for the grinder attachment so I could grind meat. I'll be using this for small batch grinding. Anything more say between 30-100 lb. of meat I'll just take it to my friends place where he has a small Hobart commercial grinder. All I need now are the sausage horns. My brother makes sausages at the grocery store where he works and he said he can get me casings. So I'm pretty much set to go.

I know Harbor Freight sells hand and electric powered meat grinders but I don't know how well these are made.

yo,
brian dude,

take a few minutes and go to this aussies site.
download and read his free e book.
its called sizzling sausage -book 1

it covers the' need to know' of beginning grinding and making
your own sausages.
his name is steve
his moniker is "the sausage fella"

his sites addy is
www.buildabbq.com

there is really good knowledge in e-book

i think you will enjoy.

you need not only grinder ,but stuffing attachments as well

yo mr earl-d [official welcome dude]
i have bought many things at harbour freight.
they have one about 7 miles from my apartment.
i live in st.louis area.

but,
i bought a electric meat grinder for 20 bucks from them.
the motor burned up before i had ground a small chuck roast.
by a lb it was hurting. by 2 lb it was dead.

let the buyer beware---
sometimes you get what you pay for.

Larry Joe,
I know what you mean about Harbor Freight-put your money down and take your chances. I have one about a mile and a half from my house and I have been to it since last year when I bought a pneumatic brad nailer/stapler. Believe it or not it still works!!!

I checked out that site for the Sausage recipes. When I saw the opening page, all I could say when I saw that barbeque was "Oh man! What a beautiful piece of work!" Now I got to have one of those, it will look great when I do my outdoor catering gigs!! Thanks for posting the link.

Guys-I deliberately chose not to describe what this beauty looks like. It's one of those things that you just have to see for yourselves! So check out the site that Larry posted and feast your eyes!! :D

[/fade:782c9b9d0f]

Hi all,

My name is Steve from the buildabbq.com site.
Thanks for the praise for the site and the Ebook.
I just LOVE all kinds of smoked meats - this site is great, one of the guys on the [email protected] recommended it last week, then Dutch contacted me so here I am!

I'm an Aussie and a bit of a foodie! I make my own beer, and the odd fruit wine, sausage and cheese now n then. I enjoy writing, hence the Ebooks and a couple more on the way soon!

I've learned almost everything I know about sausage and BBQ from years of online involvement and experimentation, not to mention quite a few books most often written by 'Mericans!

Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better soon!

Regards

Steve Gaskin
www.buildabbq.com

Steve,
Welcome to the Smoking Meat Forums. Glad I could "talk" you into joining. :) I've really enjoy scanning you ebook. Looking forward to really getting to the "meat" of it later tomorrow.

yo,steve
glad to see you here.

we have conversed on another forum.
i am under the i.d. of hoodoobluesman at that forum.
you were" the sausage fella"

i am not seeing the Australian flag by your name.
i hope this can be remedied.

in U.S. we call our flag the stars and stripes
our canadien brothers call theirs the maple leaf
our british cousins calls theirs the union jack.
i shamefully admit i dont know the moniker of
our australian or new zealand cousins flag.
i also dont know of our north american continent
mexican brothers flag name.

maybe you can enlighten me on the aussie flag?

larry joe maddock
st. ann,missouri,usa 63074
[[suburb of st.louis]]
also known as
the lo dollar/no dollar cook
e- mail
[email protected]

hii all
my name is Steve from the buildabbq.com site.
Thanks for the praise for the site and the Ebook.
I just LOVE all kinds of smoked meats - this site is great, one of the guys on the [email protected] recommended it last week, then Dutch contacted me so here I am!

I'm an Aussie and a bit of a foodie! I make my own beer, and the odd fruit wine, sausage and cheese now n then. I enjoy writing, hence the Ebooks and a couple more on the way soon!

I've learned almost everything I know about sausage and BBQ from years of online involvement and experimentation, not to mention quite a few books most often written by 'Mericans!

Looking forward to getting to know you all a bit better soon!

Regards

Steve Gaskin
www.buildabbq.com[/quote]

Hi Larry - ok hoodoobluesman, now I gotcha!

Our Aussie flag has the Union Jack top left hand side (we are still part of the Commonwelath) so too the New Zealanders. On the R/H side we have the Southern Cross a pattern of stars visible Downunder, so we call ours the Southern Cross - find out more here: http://fotw.vexillum.com/flags/au.html

We are a funny lot - nowhere near as patriotic as the USA - but I don't reckon I'd live anywhere else, except maybe for New Zealand - which is stunningly beautiful!

A bit off topic - but I hope no-one will mind too much?

Steve
www.buildabbq.com

Originally from Kansas City...but moved to Texas where it's warmer.
wink.gif

Aaah - both places are pretty serious about BBQ, from what I gather!
Do you BBQ a lot? We Aussies think we BBQ, but we mostly just grill. Gotta thank the Us of A for introducing me to real BBQ, even though I use gas!!

Steve

Steve, we all may use a different fuel source but it's the end results that count. I use a GOSM and an ECB Charcoal smoker. I'm more comfortable with gas as that is what I learned with. My Dad used to own a meat cutting shop and we also had two gas fired smokehouses. Us boys got the opertunity to learn how to pump brine into hams, bacon and turkeys. We also smoked deer and elk during the hunting season. The only sausage we did was all fresh, though we wanted to learn to do brats and such. That's why I'm glad to see this Sausage thread take off.

Hey there Dutch,Ive been doing hams and bacons for 4 years now.Im getting better every year and last year I think I arrived at a very tasty product.I want to ask a pro about brine pumping.Ive never been able to find the main artery to pump brine into so I just stich pump,and cover with dry cure.Any help and hints you could give me would be a great help.Thanks,David

David, When we did hams we used the stitch method and we would pump the hams to approximately 10% of their green weight. The hams were then placed into 50 gallon barrels and covered with more the brining solution and placed into the cooler for 4-5 days. After this brining the hams where then placed into netting and into one of two smokehouses.

We would average 250-300 pounds of hams and 100-150 pounds of slab bacon a week. The bacon was done the same way as the ham except that they remained in the brine for only 3 days. Everything was smoked with a combination of hickory and apple or hickory and cherry.

We lived next door to the Meat shop and there was nothing like smelling the sweet hickory wood smoke in the cold crisp Fall night air.

Arterial pumping in my opinion is overrated as the artery can be difficult to locate. My method for pumping was to insert the needle into the ham or pork slab then place my hand on the area where the needle was and pump the solution in. When I could feel the area swell with brine I would move to a new area.

Hope this gives you an idea how us "pros" did it. I did it for so long I think that I could still do it in my sleep. :D

Thanks for the info.That is pretty much my way of thinking about the artery issue.The bacons I just pump but the hams I pump then cover with dry cure.I have used a brine bucket before but with no way to regulate temps I do the dry cure and place the hams in my shed fridge where I can keep a close check on my temps.Thanks again,always good to hear from an old "pro."

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky