Grinder & Stuffer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajun_1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 16, 2006
Idaho
Yesterday, picked up a #10 grinder & 3lb stuffer made by LEM, at Sportsmans Warehouse. Only doing this for family, so don't think I need anything bigger at the present. Now to get busy. Thought I read a post saying a pork butt works well without having to add extra fat while grinding?

Thanks cajunsmoker, get confused sometimes with all the posts, where something is.... Glad to here you tried and enjoyed this sausage posted by Dutch. Gonna get it started today. Pretty informative guy that Dutch.

hello hello,
i hope you have as much fun as i do "rolling homemades"..

document all seasoning---
work in small batches---

doesnt the #10 lem come with stuffing attachments??? :)

Larry, yes it did, 1/2-3/4 & 7/8" tubes. The stuffer also came with tubes, 1/2,3/4 & 1". Going here in a few minutes to get the pork. I am ancious (?) to get this part of this great hobby started.

You will have great fun…my grandkids would rather eat my venison/pork breakfast sausage than anything Bob Evans has to offer. Sure makes me feel good! (and they mean it!)

Hint: get some good plastic heavy gloves for mixing spices (it gets real cold)!
wink.gif

heres another thought. :idea:

this is what i do ---

before i grind--
i put the spices in the water --
and stir them to mix them ---
this makes what i call the spice slurry.

i find it easier to mix in meat.

for breakfast sausage--
you can use rhine wine instead of water.

while your at it --make a homemade fatty--you will luv it.

but remember
that it probably wont beat the breakfast sausage
if you serve it with my butcher guru dutch's gravy--[its the gravy] :!:

I now have 6 1/2lb vacuum sealed bags of sausage. I had to cook some up just to see the difference between store bought & fresh made. (1) The consistancy was very noticeable. (2) Hardly any grease as from store bought. (3) The flavor was great. A different taste than store bought. The SO & Daughter totally enjoyed their sample. MR. DUTCH, Thank You, for sharing your vast knowledge. We appreciate what you do for this forum. We now have homemade sausage, we can enjoy the next 6 weeks.

there is well known vinters in cal and ny who purvey rhine wine.

i like the super market stuff.

they have it in bottles and boxes.

4 bucks tops for 750 ml

probably 10 bucks for 5 liter box

Cajun_1, Glad you and the family liked the sausage.

Thanks Dutch, Also picked up some Breakfast Sausage Seasoning, (from Hi Mountain), don't really know if this is like country sausage or not. Ever tried it? Maybe I'll make some up , and when the SO tells everyone about the great sausage, I'll give it to them. :)

Mr. Dutch, After the long wait for today, we had our biscuits & gravy with homemade saugage. The taste,texture & smell were GREAT. Not the usual biscuits & gravy breakfast. Did have to toss a wee bit of bacon grease in when I fried it, due to the lesser fat content, but that just added to the taste. Sure glad I found this forum. Thanks to everyone.

was just reading the instructions on my grinder again. It refers to "food grade silicone spray" to keep it lubed and rust free on the steel parts. Where or what do you guys use? Where do you get it? Thanks

yo cajun 1 ,
i use mineral oil..

i slather it on with paint brush.
then i let sit on newspaper for a day to drain ==
before i rebox grinder and parts---
the cutting plates and knife i keep immersed in
a tupper ware container,

i have a manual #8 grinder.
this works great..

food grade silicon spray can be mail ordered at my 2 favs--
www.alliedkenco.com
www.sausagemaker.com

QUOTE CAJUN-1 Yesterday, picked up a #10 grinder & 3lb stuffer made by LEM, at Sportsmans Warehouse. Only doing this for family, so don't think I need anything bigger at the present. Now to get busy. Thought I read a post saying a pork butt works well without having to add extra fat while grinding?

Cajun I can remember when my 5 lbs stuffer looked big enough....(Cheech begins to think of a time not long ago...)

Cheech...Hopefully I won't have to go bigger(as long as the mouths stay closed about the great taste) , but if that time comes, I'll remember your words.

Nope-can't see the need to buy from someone if I have a recipe. Not knocking Hi Mountain-they make some great products. With my recipes I can control the amount of salt and other spices and make it to my tastes and not some guy sitting in a lab. Just my $.02.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky