Grinder is Here it's Sausage Time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bear55

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
South Mississippi
Well my grinder arrived, I purchased a Weston #8 with a .75 HP motor. I believe after my research this one will best suite my needs. I will be making some breakfast sausage this weekend and I have a couple of questions if you don't mind?

#1, From my reading on this forum, as long as I am making breakfast sausage for the freezer there is no need for a cure? The sausage will be fried or perhaps used in a bacon wrapped pork fatty. I understand, if used in a fatty I should make sure the smoker is at 180 or higher before beginning the smoke.

#2. I seen folks season their sausage before the initial grind and others who grind once then season and regrind. Which way is better, or is it just a matter of personal preference? I plan to purchase a pork butt 8 lbs or so to start off with and vacumn seal in one pound packages.

Any ideas or pitfalls you have are appreciated.

#1, From my reading on this forum, as long as I am making breakfast sausage for the freezer there is no need for a cure? The sausage will be fried or perhaps used in a bacon wrapped pork fatty. I understand, if used in a fatty I should make sure the smoker is at 180 or higher before beginning the smoke.

180°F is a good starting point, but personally if I'm cooking fresh sausage in my smoker, I'm inclined to start at temps around 200 to 225°. There is very little fat loss between 150-190° (typical cured sausage smoking temps) even up to 212°F for short smokes. There is, however, significant fat loss over 248°—which starts getting into BBQ territory.

#2. I seen folks season their sausage before the initial grind and others who grind once then season and regrind. Which way is better, or is it just a matter of personal preference? I plan to purchase a pork butt 8 lbs or so to start off with and vacumn seal in one pound packages.

My preference for breakfast sausage: Grind first, then season. Make sure you get a good, thorough mixing so the meat develops a nice sticky feel.

Kevin

SWEET!!  congratulations!

I love making breakfast sausage.  I ended up making all of mine into patties to cook up individually.  Some guys put it into quart sized ziplock bags and flatten it out.  How do you intend save it?

I probably should have said I love eating my breakfast sausage. 
yahoo.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky