GrillGrates, worth it?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Flatrate

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 8, 2015
Michigan
I've been pondering getting some for awhile now. I have a Weber Genesis 300 series gasser that I love, I call it The Steak Machine. Had it since 2018 have cooked burgers once and I think chicken once, everything else is steak. So its kind of a dedicated cooker and am wondering if they will make a difference?

I've seen videos with them in it, but before I slap down the cash just want to make sure I am not spending the cash for better grill marks. Don't get me wrong I am a grill mark fanatic.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Reactions: JLeonard
I've been pondering getting some for awhile now. I have a Weber Genesis 300 series gasser that I love, I call it The Steak Machine. Had it since 2018 have cooked burgers once and I think chicken once, everything else is steak. So its kind of a dedicated cooker and am wondering if they will make a difference?

I've seen videos with them in it, but before I slap down the cash just want to make sure I am not spending the cash for better grill marks. Don't get me wrong I am a grill mark fanatic.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

My opinion is, Yes they're worth it! I use GGs on my Weber Kettle for most cooks. To me, the best advantage is, they completely eliminate flare-ups. I haven't had a grease fire or flare up since I got em.

And I know it doesn't really affect the taste of the final product, but I love those pretty, cross hatch grill marks. We eat with our eyes first, right?

Red

For me it's always been a choice of clean-up vs. cross marks. Clean up wins hand in my book. When I'm cooking outside I want to keep the dish detail to a minimum. A steak seared over the Vortex has plenty of char markings for me.

Chris

For me it's always been a choice of clean-up vs. cross marks. Clean up wins hand in my book. When I'm cooking outside I want to keep the dish detail to a minimum. A steak seared over the Vortex has plenty of char markings for me.

Chris
I had a couple for my pellet pooper a few years ago. They do make your steak pretty, but I got tired of cleaning them. They are also super expensive now.
Thanks for the input guys! Any tips or tricks to cleaning them?

Dave

I have a set of grill grates on my PL grill (they are attached to my grid with stainless bolts, washers and wing nuts) I really like them but they can be a pain to clean. I recently started using my drill and one on the scotch brite disks. It does a quick and efficient job of removing all the gunk.

Dave
You'd have to ask Red about that. I don't use them. I would imagine they're easier to clean while they are still hot, but then you food gets cold.

Chris

Reactions: Flatrate
A super skinny grill brush. My advice is to spend that grill grate money on food to grill. This hobby is expensive enough as it is.

I have a set of grill grates on my PL grill (they are attached to my grid with stainless bolts, washers and wing nuts) I really like them but they can be a pain to clean. I recently started using my drill and one on the scotch brite disks. It does a quick and efficient job of removing all the gunk.

That’s a good idea…I’ll have to give that a try!

Red

Dave

You'd have to ask Red about that. I don't use them. I would imagine they're easier to clean while they are still hot, but then you food gets cold.

Chris

They are, in fact, easier to clean while they’re hot. I find it helps to always apply a little cooking spray before each use. After I take the food off, I‘ll immediately use a stainless steel scrubber to clean the rails. To clean the grooves, I use the specialized spatula that came with the GGs to scrape out the grease and junk. Then they’re all ready for the next cook!

Red

I got a set with my RT 1250, didn’t like it on that, but on my Genesis they are KILLER good. Great grill marks, no flare ups & just really professional looking results. Check out these steaks! All done with the Grill Grates.
BA5AB54E-B816-4121-AAA8-03AE86588C77.jpeg
C97B704D-1D6A-4EBD-BF98-B0C03DFCEF3F.jpeg

AAC1383D-D429-4583-8276-10DA3D1F27C9.jpeg

As for cleaning, I bought the Grill Grate brush & it cleans the grates perfectly, it fits right in the grooves. You can even get a GG spatula that is split so it slides right under anything on the grates. Got that too! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al

Last edited:
I got a set with my RT 1250, didn’t like it on that, but on my Genesis they are KILLER good. Great grill marks, no flare ups & just really professional looking results. Check out these steaks! All done with the Grill Grates.
View attachment 660401View attachment 660400

View attachment 660399

As for cleaning, I bought the Grill Grate brush & it cleans the grates perfectly, it fits right in the grooves. You can even get a GG spatula that is split so it slides right under anything on the grates. Got that too! :emoji_sunglasses:
Al
So basically these would turn an ordinary gasser into an infrared gasser?

They are expensive - so whether they're worth it is kind of in the eye of the beholder, I think.

They often have "factory second" deals which I've used several times - for the life of me I don't see a thing wrong with the seconds that I've bought.

For example, here is one, although when I bought it, it was $25: https://www.grillgrate.com/products/searnsizzle-grillgrate-for-the-foodi-smart-grill-xl/

I will use this small grate for one or two burgers at a time on my Weber. I use them upside down and I think I get a better sear with the grillgrate.

Take a drill and drill holes in the grate using a template and shazaam - you got an outdoor griddle. Aluminum drills real easy.

Here are some more second deals.

Good luck

I had them on my older Weber Genny (Mine were full width replacements) and they were a must for nice searing. They do require cleaning but they work very well. Here are some examples....They make very nice grill lines..... Fillets are often difficult to get sear lines....GG does it with ease (all mid rare, INT 130-135).
GG-Steaks.jpeg

GG-Steaks2.jpeg

NY
GG-Steaks3.jpeg

I recently got one of the new designed Weber's with the deeper burn box and double layer deflector plates, it also has the sear station and it has replaced the GG for me. Note it doesn't have a nice as lines but the sear is harder across the steak....Bacon wrapped fillet comparison followed by a NY same as above... the fillets were seared and now roasting above to reach INT 130
GG-vs Webber2.jpeg

GG-vs Webber.jpeg

See the sear color vs jus the line sear....
GG-vs Webber3.jpeg

The new weber design sear station gives a sear closer to a vortex or open fire sear....

Therefore, minus a vortex sear or open fire or newly design sear station the GG make near perfect sear lines and would so on your older Weber genny!

Last edited:
I had a set on an old BBQ Galore Turbo Elite natural gas grill. It was close to 15 years old and I was trying to eke a few more years out of it, with the thought that GrillGrates would get hotter than the standard grates because they trap more heat. I measured temps using an IR thermometer and I did gain close to 100° on the grate, but that extra heat trapped in the fire chamber took its toll. I had several parts that just crumpled, but as mentioned above, they were already almost 15 years old. Something to think about, though.

The set I ordered was also such a tight fit that there was no way to scrape junk out of the channels, making cleanup even worse than what others have described.

I have had them on my Napoleon gasser for over two years now and I love them. They get really hot fast and prevent a lot of flair ups. I usually put a small handful of pellets on them for extra flavor.

I use my grill for baking a lot of times and I think they help eliminate hot spots. Never had issues with cleaning. I always use some balled up foil and scrape away. Rubbing an onion on the hot grates helps too. Plus you can flip them over for a quick flat cooking surface.

Definitely wouldn't get rid of mine, that's for sure.

Thanks for the intel everyone, lot of valid points brought up. I am still on the fence!

Dave

I second the purchase of seconds when they have them available - it could be just a slight color variation, or a minor dent. I have 8 grids in total, 4 for each of my Traegers. I probably use them 75% of the time and they work very well for me. In terms of cleanup, I just scrape them every once in a while :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky