Grilled Beef Two Ways…..Prime NY and “Way Beyond Prime” Short Ribs!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

civilsmoker

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 27, 2015
Idaho
So I decided to have these cooks as one post because they were connected together so they had to be experienced via pics the same way……

First up the Prime NYs….. found these at Costco….these caught me eye and had to come home with me……
IMG_8007.jpeg

Next up are the thick cut short ribs……these were trimmed up and the bones were added to a pot early in the am of the NY cook…..
IMG_8002.jpeg

These baby’s got some stock and then simmered for 12 hours into this…..the depth of beef flavor was crazy good!!!
IMG_8004.jpeg

This enriched stock will be the base of my wife’s beef Marsala gravy…….

Oh had a snack on one of these while the stock was simmering…..
IMG_8005.jpeg

The NY went in the Weber seat station for the round robin sear experience……fat side first….
IMG_8008.jpeg

45 second later the flip side……
IMG_8009.jpeg

The round robin continued till they were nice and seared then they were transferred to the upper rack to roast till they were INT 125……
IMG_8011.jpeg

They got rested for about 8 mins then sliced for the plated……man oh man all smiles!!!!
IMG_8015.jpeg

This baby was placed over a bed of short rib stock beef Marsala, Yukon GR mash, seared fresh shiitakes, and pan roasted greens……oh and a little bit of bacon and fresh chopped herbs……
IMG_8016.jpeg

PS this is what intermediate fasting is for!!!!
IMG_8017.jpeg

Ok this story is so long it needs an intermission to cool things down……

How about a cold cut breakfast…….Tabasco dressed eggs and cold cut NY leftover slices dressed with woster…..
IMG_8038.jpeg

Ok now that things have cooled a bit…….lets get back to these “beyond prime” thick cut short ribs……

These caught my eye and I was fixated!!!
IMG_8001.jpeg

These had to be treated special like…..so they got trimmed of the bones as above and then all the sliver skin and surface fat was remained to leave strips of marbled BEEF!
IMG_8003.jpeg

I mean WHAT…..these were marked choice………

The wife had an Asian theme planned for dinner so these got marinated in a 1/2c soy, sesame oil Tbs, 3/4 can coke 3 Tbs raw sugar, 2 Tbs garlic pepper sauce……the were finished on the Weber sear station alongside some GOs in soy lime juice and red pepper flakes……
IMG_8039.jpeg

The flip……
IMG_8040.jpeg

And the finish with the GOs getting the char…..
IMG_8041.jpeg

These were placed over a bed of sticky rice and dressed with a garlic soy glaze my boy made up and some fresh GOs……
IMG_8043.jpeg

Holy crap is all I can say these stips of marbled beef were pure heaven!!!!

Oh and had to balance the richness with my wife’s orange vinaigrette dressing with some smoked chicken…..very tasty side salad!
IMG_8044.jpeg

Ok to finish this meal off, a shared desert with my wife…..mango sticky rice with coconut milk….the a banana filled Thai roti with a coconut wiped cream topped with some toasted coconut…… we had this at a restaurant not to long ago and the wife wanted to make it at home…..ps my part was the pan frying of the roti……man oh man this plate is pure flavor……
IMG_8045.jpeg

Thanks for joining the party and tomorrow is a fast day to re-balance…..LOL!

Last edited:
Damn Civil!! Those NY Strips were Awesome! Everything looked great! Then the ribs OMG my mouth is watering big time!!! Some damn fine looking eats there!! Nice Job!!

Amazing couple of meals, but those "choice" short ribs look out of this world good!! Somewhere along the line, someone screwed up with the grading. I'd have brought them home, too...

You gotta be kiddin me! All of that is just insanely good looking.

Damn Civil!! Those NY Strips were Awesome! Everything looked great! Then the ribs OMG my mouth is watering big time!!! Some damn fine looking eats there!! Nice Job!!
Many thanks Redi! It was some over the top eating at our house for sure..... the ribs were mind blowing!
Amazing couple of meals, but those "choice" short ribs look out of this world good!! Somewhere along the line, someone screwed up with the grading. I'd have brought them home, too...
Thanks GS! Agreed on the Ribs! I think they cut up few prime pieces to sell them as they had a short date but I'm not complaining.....LOL
Looks great as always .
Many thanks chop!!
Home run! Looks fantastic!
Thanks lilh! I can say there was even a nice after party celebration for the home run too....LOL
Picture after picture of mouth watering goodness!

Jim
Much appreciated Jim! I'm like these are a lot of pics but just couldn't cut any out.....

Reactions: JLeonard
I have been buying the Prime NY at Costco also, mine didn't seem to have as much marbling as yours but cut up easy and tasted great.
Oh, I "filter" through them to find the ones that speak to me. I check them every trip to Costco and pass on most of them waiting for the "one" and the "one" after that.....
You gotta be kiddin me! All of that is just insanely good looking.
Thanks mr-w! I did pinch myself a few times just to make sure it was real too.....but after a while the spot I was pinching went numb so I "believe" it was real!
Pretty much mind blown! Excellent work there Civil.
Much appreciated SE! The texture and flavor of the ribs is hard to explain..... the mind struggles to formulate a response for sure!
Wow, this all looks great! How did you do your sticky rice with coconut milk?
Thanks CPAC! First, we have a Zojirushi NS-TSC10 rice cooker.... My wife calls it her little baby! It cooks the best sticky rice (after using it I would pay twice what we paid for it in less than a blink of an eye). We use sweet rice we get at the Asian market and the Zojirushi, cooks it in 75 mins or so....perfect every time. The coconut milk is simmered down a bit and enhanced with sugar in the raw and salt....that's pretty much it. Very easy but tasty!
Holy canoli, every part of that looks awesome 👌 job well done.
Many thanks JL!

Reactions: Central PA Cowboy
Oh Fricking Hell Yeah!
Simply fantastic beef all the way!
I'm salivating hard looking at this meat pRon.
Much appreciated chiler! It was a beef weekend for sure....Oh we did have some ham in there too.....LOL
A lot going on here. I need to take a breath.
Great job!
Many thanks ronf! I had to take a breath after as well!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky