Grill Smith Flattop

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I was set to get a Blackstone four burner, but saw this 4 burner on sale for 249.00. I’ve never heard of Grill Smith, can’t find a worthwhile review. Blackstone’s reputation here is pretty solid, but this price is tempting. Does anyone have experience with these?

Attachments

• 0B1E77CB-F06F-4846-A717-C8F767CFC359.jpeg
    0B1E77CB-F06F-4846-A717-C8F767CFC359.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 0B5C732C-A17C-464C-9E0C-1C3E9E221305.jpeg
    0B5C732C-A17C-464C-9E0C-1C3E9E221305.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 32C59A89-35BC-44B7-8EC3-96E0A2D4AF20.jpeg
    32C59A89-35BC-44B7-8EC3-96E0A2D4AF20.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 71
  • D864B8D6-C371-4FA9-A25E-3A074C72B3EA.jpeg
    D864B8D6-C371-4FA9-A25E-3A074C72B3EA.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 37B988EA-8F49-454D-AFE7-95C327B5E377.jpeg
    37B988EA-8F49-454D-AFE7-95C327B5E377.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 62
  • AC1E0CC5-2DC5-4B34-AA03-594B73C05988.jpeg
    AC1E0CC5-2DC5-4B34-AA03-594B73C05988.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 63
Never heard of them Jed. One thing I'm not seeing right off the bat is where the grease drain is located. My Blackstone has it at the rear, as most Blackstones do I think. The Camp Chef has it in the front if I remember correctly. My understanding from reading through a bunch of griddle threads is that in the back is preferable as it does not impede cooking area or access.

Unless there is just a HUGE price difference, I'd be inclined to go with a tried and true brand. Spring sales might start popping up real soon and you could well find a good deal on a Blackstone.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
I did a little research for you. This company doesn't even have a website so I'd pass just based on that. Looks like they make grills and sell to the exchange and maybe Walmart exclusively. On the exchange website it has some pretty poor reviews on quality. I'd be concerned with customer service since they barely have a web presence

Never heard of them Jed. One thing I'm not seeing right off the bat is where the grease drain is located. My Blackstone has it at the rear, as most Blackstones do I think. The Camp Chef has it in the front if I remember correctly. My understanding from reading through a bunch of griddle threads is that in the back is preferable as it does not impede cooking area or access.

Unless there is just a HUGE price difference, I'd be inclined to go with a tried and true brand. Spring sales might start popping up real soon and you could well find a good deal on a Blackstone.

Robert
Drain is in the front and has a pull out basket underneath

Robert

I did a little research for you. This company doesn't even have a website so I'd pass just based on that. Looks like they make grills and sell to the exchange and maybe Walmart exclusively. On the exchange website it has some pretty poor reviews on quality. I'd be concerned with customer service since they barely have a web presence
Thanks guys. Yes, I saw it at the exchange and almost went impulse. Jakes right, drain is in the front. Seems pretty well put together, but quick search didn’t come up with much. I’ll probably hold out and hope to catch a spring sale on Blackstone due to how many users are here. Thanks again for your time!

My camp chef drains in the front which isn't a huge deal. I would think the only problem you might have with this would be with the low quality you might get some warping on the top. Burners and such might not last as long. What's the price difference on the blackstone?

I PMd you another option. Markers Mark from Sams. I was thinking about it, then my wife got me a 28in Blackstone for my bday/Father’s Day for $150.00.

Ok, I'll be the one to throw the wrench in the works.... a dedicated griddle is really great, when you griddle cook a lot of things that is.

I went with a Camp Chef stove, and bought their removable griddle. Now I can fry fish, use a Dutch oven, or my pressure cooker, or steam crab or maybe just make breakfast in a CI skillet. Multi-tasking I guess. Oh yeah, the stove is light enough to take campin'.
1pmlZIU.jpg

I think I read some companies don't use cast iron on the griddle. Not sure which ones don't use cast iron but I'd want to check before I bought one. The early model 36" Blackstone griddles had a front drain but they changed it to the back several years ago

Jed I have both the Blackstone 36" and a camp chef 32. Hands down the blackstone is a better griddle. Besides the rear trap and the hard cover, it seems to cook better and stay cleaner. I can also say on the camp chef one of the handles on the side table has rusted off. Make sure you get the one with hard cover, I got mine for $297 last year at the end of the season from Walmart.

My camp chef drains in the front which isn't a huge deal. I would think the only problem you might have with this would be with the low quality you might get some warping on the top. Burners and such might not last as long. What's the price difference on the blackstone?

bauchjw bauchjw Jed check this out. Walmart is having a sell on the 4 burner Blackstone. This is a great price at only 50 bucks more than the grillsmithView attachment 628262

I have this one and it looks identical, So far I am happy with it and have not had any troubles...see the thread in the link: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/members-mark-griddle.302059/#post-2144349
If I recall I paid 199 at Sam's Club

I PMd you another option. Markers Mark from Sams. I was thinking about it, then my wife got me a 28in Blackstone for my bday/Father’s Day for $150.00.

Ok, I'll be the one to throw the wrench in the works.... a dedicated griddle is really great, when you griddle cook a lot of things that is.

I went with a Camp Chef stove, and bought their removable griddle. Now I can fry fish, use a Dutch oven, or my pressure cooker, or steam crab or maybe just make breakfast in a CI skillet. Multi-tasking I guess. Oh yeah, the stove is light enough to take campin'.
View attachment 628265

I think I read some companies don't use cast iron on the griddle. Not sure which ones don't use cast iron but I'd want to check before I bought one. The early model 36" Blackstone griddles had a front drain but they changed it to the back several years ago

Jed I have both the Blackstone 36" and a camp chef 32. Hands down the blackstone is a better griddle. Besides the rear trap and the hard cover, it seems to cook better and stay cleaner. I can also say on the camp chef one of the handles on the side table has rusted off. Make sure you get the one with hard cover, I got mine for $297 last year at the end of the season from Walmart.
Thank you everyone for your time and responses! 🤣I went from Blackstone to Grill Smith to Blackstone to Camp Chef! Still a bit to ponder, but I’ll probably pass on the Grill Smith and zero in on Blackstone Sale or Camp Chef, the offset I’m getting built will have gas burner so I’m thinking I may be ok without one to boil or fry. Ok, it’ll come down to an impulse. But, thank you again for your input!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky