Green spots on Bologna

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes there was an older post here I found because I had the exact issue and I was informed of the oxidation from the cheese. Makes sense to me since non cheese logs never get green spots. I use 5 ingredients and smoke my bologna. I have gotten the green spots with high temp cheddar cheese. Have not yet used the hi temp hot pepper jack. I noticed most commercial bologna kits contain the sodium erythorbate so this would explain why those using commercial kits never experience this. Your shop has always used the same recipe and never had this happen? That seems odd. Seems most people use Accent (MSG) or mace, neither of which I use, not sure if they help in prevention. I didn't buy the sodium erythorbate yet, didn't want to add more stuff. I just keep my bologna (if it has cheese) wrapped tight in a plastic bag and only slice before consuming. It never gets the spots this way and it is absolutely amazing so I'm not messing with it.

Here is the older post I replied to earlier in December. https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/trail-bologna-problem-and-question.266471/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky