Granulated Garlic/garlic powder and onion powder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DougE

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 13, 2010
Richmond,KY
Looking for some ways to keep both of these spices from turning into a brick in their containers. I go through this all the time, and it's a real hassle to try and bust this stuff back up when it turns into a brick. I usually end up tossing it out and starting the cycle from loose to brick once again.

Considering dumping the containers out and vac sealing, if that will keep it usable. I can always make the bags bigger than needed to allow for resealing.

Reactions: Butt Smoke
Use dry rice mixed in, or move to Colorado and problem solved.
Not moving, so maybe try the rice. What I have now is 2 bricks you could use to build a house. In order to even attempt to use it, I'd have to cut the containers off to get it out, and run it through the food processor to get it busted back up. Like I said, this is not the first time, but I'd like to be able to keep these spices in bulk since they're used in a lot of stuff I cook.

Reactions: JLeonard
They get that hard? Seriously? Gently bounce the jug on the counter doesn’t loose it up? That’s crazy to me, but we are dry here. When I was young, before central air conditioning, lots of restaurants mixed white rice in the salt shaker. We never did at home but the rice did work everywhere else.

Reactions: Butt Smoke
Keep them in the freezer. I keep all my ribs in the freezer. Never get hard. What I used to do before the freezer method was a spice grinder when they got hard.
I'll give it a try. Read somewhere or other that it works for the garlic, but not the onion powder. It's just getting old tossing half full bulk containers of these particular spices. I have no probs with any other spices/rubs .... just the garlic and onion powder. I went to mix up a rub the other day and just said the heck with it and used something else. You'd need a hammer to bust these up.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Just thinking out loud here, but I would transfer the bulk spice to a zip bag first. If it gets stiff there it would be more easy to break up. I don’t know, but this would be an angle I would try.

I'll give it a try. Read somewhere or other that it works for the garlic, but not the onion powder. It's just getting old tossing half full bulk containers of these particular spices. I have no probs with any other spices/rubs .... just the garlic and onion powder. I went to mix up a rub the other day and just said the heck with it and used something else. You'd need a hammer to bust these up.

I have taken rock hard seasoning and got them smooth with a spice grinder. I had to chop them to get them in to the grinder

Reactions: DonP and DougE
Just thinking out loud here, but I would transfer the bulk spice to a zip bag first. If it gets stiff there it would be more easy to break up. I don’t know, but this would be an angle I would try.
Definitely an option. The other idea I have is to maybe vac seal and make the bag big enough to reseal multiple times. What I may do is bust up the concrete I have and turn it back to powder and try some different ways.

I have taken rock hard seasoning and got them smooth with a spice grinder. I had to chop them to get them in to the grinder
Heck, I can't even get them out of the containers ....... even with a knife.

Other then the fact you live in such humid climate, I only have this problem when I get fine ground spices. I get my granulated garlic from Costco and doesn't have this problem.

When I get fine ground onion powder I put rice in the container.

Maybe it is the humidity and I should just shut up and count my blessings.

Other then the fact you live in such humid climate, I only have this problem when I get fine ground spices. I get my granulated garlic from Costco and doesn't have this problem.

When I get fine ground onion powder I put rice in the container.

Maybe it is the humidity and I should just shut up and count my blessings.
We definitely stay pretty humid around here. I've bought these bulk containers from GFS, and other places with the same result.

Definitely an option. The other idea I have is to maybe vac seal and make the bag big enough to reseal multiple times. What I may do is bust up the concrete I have and turn it back to powder and try some different ways.
Just FWI, Cabelas sells pre cut vac bags that have a zip closer. You fill the bag from the bottom, vac seal, but then open the opposite side with a zip seal. Just putting that out there. I have some and like them a lot.

Just FWI, Cabelas sells pre cut vac bags that have a zip closer. You fill the bag from the bottom, vac seal, but then open the opposite side with a zip seal. Just putting that out there. I have some and like them a lot.
I have some that came with my vac sealer .......... the zip lock deals you can vac down. May be a good use for them.

When ever you buy products that have those little desiccant packets keep them in a jar and use them for exactly for the problem you are having. Just pop a single packet in the spice jar and it will suck up the humidity before things can get bad. Just make sure the packet remains sealed and none of the pellets get out, the pellets when ingested can be poisonous. You can also purchase them on Amazon, lots of uses for them. They work really well to throw a few in your tool box to keep the rust away.

Heck, I can't even get them out of the containers ....... even with a knife.

Same happened to my Powered Worcestershire sauce. so hard it also would not come out of the bottle. It was not even a year old. looked like it melted first than just cement in the bottom. Had to chuck it out. But all my others are still loose.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky