gotta love craigs list!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

junkcollector

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Cagayan de Oro Philipppines
Finally got a score off CL and wasn't too late. Picked up a berkel buffalo chopper today. Spent the day in Gatlinburg TN after we picked it up. It has a noisy bearing in the top end drive area, but I'm confident it can be fixed. Picked it up for $300!!! Talk bout meat grinding/mixing getting much easier/faster. Can't wait to try it out.

You're killing me here!  Great score.  You should be able to find the parts and operators manuals with no problem.

I'm still hunting for a chopper that isn't either a wreck or so pricy I'd have to mortgage the farm....

Lance

Berkel is the inventor of mechanical slicers and such..

Looks great!

Craig

Last edited:
thanks, really looking forward to getting off crutches so i can get it unloaded. wife just doesn't seem enthused about unloading it for me......
wife.gif
 geeze, i wonder why?

i,m hoping this one isn't a wreck once i tear into it. bearing has some issues, but really hoping its only bearing isues and not deeper.

Nice score

If your going to emulsify meat for sausage just be sure to add ice to the chopping as the choppers can heat the meat up.

thumb1.gif

well got ta lookin at it this afternoon, who knows, had a brain fart, maybe they thought it has a bad bearing because of a collar that is gone/busted. where the lid closes over the drive shaft, there's a plastic shroud that covers the drive shaft that is busted. the lid actually rests on the drive shaft now when its closed. Hopefully I can get it out of the truck tomorrow and investigate it a bit more. I'll get a pic or 2 of it in more detail tomorrow evening.

mule, i've been watching em for a LONG time. beats the snot outta me how i missed that one in Ft. Smith, was through there 2 weeks ago. If I'd seen it, I would have picked it up. 

nepas, thanks for the reminder. been a while since i've emulsified meat. after i destroyed moms food processor years ago, haven't done it since. I do have a seasoning pack from butcher packer for 25lbs of knackwurst. being a good ol kraut in my geneology, i'll be makin them up as soon as i get this bugger up n running. 

Nice score

If your going to emulsify meat for sausage just be sure to add ice to the chopping as the choppers can heat the meat up.

thumb1.gif

Crushed or flaked ice will keep the blades of a processor chopper blades sharper longer.

This is something I'm just learning so maybe someone with more knowledge will correct anything I don't have quite right.  It is my understanding that for emulsified sausages you should separate lean from fatty or fat chunks when you grind, grind down to 1/8", keep the temperature of the mixture at 57 degrees or lower and add the fatty grind and any added fat last since it tends to break down quickest and smear or get oily. 

I am told that adding the ice in batches while keeping an eye on the temps is better than adding it all at once.  The only guy I know with a chopper puts his bowl in the coldest part of the fridge before chopping to retard heat rise.

I'd like to find a chopper so I can make hot dogs, coneys etc.

Lance

lance,

the last time i emulsified meat for dogs, i did the meat and fat all together. never kept it separate. but i didn't have any books to tell me, or anybody to teach me. just moms old hand grinder and a horn stuffer. so i couldn't tell ya there. 

when adding ice, do it in batches, if you do it all at once, you risk it all melting and meat getting too warm. 

update on my chopper, its still sitting in the truck. but i did run a extension cord out to it yesterday and turned it on for a bit in the back of the truck. definately bearings shot. no wiggle or slop in the drive shaft when tugging/pushing/pulling, so i'm assuming the housings that hold the bearings are all still good. here's another shot of it. you can see where the plastic collar is busted off. 

I suspect that finding parts will be pretty straightforward.

When I was speaking of adding the fat and fatty grind last I was referring to using the chopper to make a very fine smooth emulsion like you would for hot dogs, coneys and franks.

So, where can I find this unattended chopper and what kind of car is it in......
devil.gif

Lance

i've found a few places for parts so im not skeered bout it. just really looking forward to the day i can get it unloaded n tore apart.

that unantended chopper is going to be in a gold durango, tazewell tn address. you find me, you can use it!
beercheer.gif
come on down, can use a extra hand gettin it out of the truck n tearing it apart. got 30lbs of chicken thighs and 30lbs of breast need throwed in and processed up.

Well, I'm finally off the crutches and getting around with a limp. Luckly I got a great  neighbor. He came over, unloaded the chopper and we tore into it this evening. After having it up side down for almost a hour pulling the safety covers, bowl drive, start capacitor, motor etc, we were able to get the drive belts off the pulleys. Finally we were able to get it flipped back up right. Few pecks with the deadblow hammer and the drive shaft in the top housing comes right out. After messing with trying to get the aluminum pulley off the drive shaft for close to a hour, we said forget it. Going to get a torch on it tomorrow and hopefully it will come loose. Aluminum on steel plus years of oxidation SUCKS. GREAT NEWS IS, its only bearings. Housing is fine and dandy. Here is a shot of where it sits this evening. Still gonna have a lot of polishing to clean up the unit as a whole.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky