Got it done this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, that's a heck of a buck. Buck of a lifetime.
Thanks Adam, you're right he'll be hard for me to top. I'll die trying though!
Big'un!
Congratulations, the hard work paid off well.
Thanks moto!
Hell yeah man. Nice deer!
Thanks TN!
Awesome job for sure a trophy.

Warren
Thanks Warren!
Damn man . Buck of a lifetime is right . Very nice . Didn't know that got that big down there .
Thanks Chop. The area of La I hunt in (4.5 hours from where I live) does have some really big deer. "Our" bucks are typically inferior in some aspect. Some would even say so about this buck (having short tines). But every few years we get some big boys on the ground.
Heck ya. Nice one dude. I am fortunate to be able to hunt with my dad as well. I’m sure you cherish the time as much as I do
I sure do, it means everything to me. Thanks flatbroke!
Great story, massive buck and awesome unique rack congratulations
Thanks pineywoods!
Great story! Had me on the edge of my seat. Outstanding Buck!...JJ
Thanks Jimmy! I still get excited reliving the story, it was truly incredible. Just amazing how it all played out.
That's an awesome buck, congratulations! And a great story to go along with it. Thanks for sharing it

Ryan
Thanks Ryan, Im glad to hear that because sometimes I ramble.
Great story and a beautiful trophy buck! RAY
Thank you Ray!
OK, What is the round black thing you are holding in the next to last picture?

John
Haha! John, thats what was on the ground when my steering went out. It housed a pile of bearings that were scattered all over the highway. Waiting on toyota to call me with diagnosis but I kinda don't even want to know. Still in denial, out of warranty.
Awesome!
Looks like you have plenty of meat for the winter!
Al
Thanks Al!
Beautiful buck!!! Congratulations!!!
Thanks creekbottom!
Really enjoyed the story, made me feel like I was there on the hunt! Nice buck!
Thanks jcam!
That's a Beauty, Saint !!
That'll look Great on the Wall !!
Nice Job!!
Great Story Too!!! I love a good story!
Like.

Bear
Thank you Bear! And thanks for the compliment!
Hell yeah man nice buck!
Thanks SmokinVolfan!
Nice looking rack - well worth the wait and troubles.

Chris
You're right, Chris. Thank you!
Geez man! You shoulda let him grow a little. :emoji_astonished::emoji_laughing::emoji_wink: That is a great looking buck. Definitely one to brag about. Congrats!
Jim
Ha, thanks Jim. That's funny, always someone at the skinning rack that says "what would he look like next year?" I was saying it but no way I could have let him walk. He had me all shook up. Still sorta does.
Great story and outstanding trophy.

You have a late rut.
Thanks. Yes, we do. It's really not even going strong yet but any day now. December 19 always seems to be a big big day for us. So we gauge a lot of our vacation time around that. I've been taking a day or two every week off from work, so I can get at least 4 days in the woods for every week. We'll ramp that up through Christmas and likely piss off most of the family.

Thanks. Yes, we do. It's really not even going strong yet but any day now. December 19 always seems to be a big big day for us. So we gauge a lot of our vacation time around that. I've been taking a day or two every week off from work, so I can get at least 4 days in the woods for every week. We'll ramp that up through Christmas and likely piss off most of the family.

Wow that is a late Rut.
When I worked at Bethlehem Steel, all of us Archers tried to get the last week of October for vacation, because our Rut season started the last 2 weeks of October.
The best part of Rut here is Mid November, but all of November used to be Small game season. Then Rifle season used to open on the Monday after Thanksgiving.
So the best time for an archer to get a Buck was the last week of October.
I have no idea what the seasons are now---I think they changed everything up, since I quit hunting.

Bear

Reactions: 73saint
Great story of exceptional effort to put yourself in a remote place where such a trophy is possible. That kind of insight of a master hunter and the dedication to make it happen makes the trophy a lot bigger than it’s already amazing rack. A super bowl class accomplishment!!

Great story Rob! An awesome Buck! Would have been a real shooter next year (kidding...someone had to say it though! LOL!!!)
We are headed to the camp friday, I'm bringing Dad and my uncle will meet us there. Cousin is going and bringing his two kids, should be a fun week at the deer camp.

WOW that is awesome I'm so thrilled for you. I'm getting to live vicariously through your hunting and your story haha.
Maybe if I get lucky I can do some hog hunting over the holiday break. I did bag a squirrel today but I have a ton I'm trying to get rid of and it was in the new trap I bought so not really hunting haha. I hope that once I remove 10-12 of these suckers my house and property will stop being constantly chewed on and my wires can be fixed once and for all haha.

Sorry to hijack.
You have a late rut.
I need to clarify. Rut starts in October in northern Minnesota and continues into December.
Heat is when the does say "ok boys, it's time" and we get into the stupid season.
Minnesota rifle season always starts the first Saturday of November to hopefully hit the heat.
With our mid October cold snap and the luck of the calendar this year, the does were finishing heat by opening weekend.
The bucks (and does) I passed on opening day are massive trophies (in my mind). Never saw any deer after opening day.

Great story of exceptional effort to put yourself in a remote place where such a trophy is possible. That kind of insight of a master hunter and the dedication to make it happen makes the trophy a lot bigger than it’s already amazing rack. A super bowl class accomplishment!!
wow, very nice of you to say Oberst! I have sacrificed a lot over the years, because of this obsession. It does indeed make it that much more special.
Great story Rob! An awesome Buck! Would have been a real shooter next year (kidding...someone had to say it though! LOL!!!)
We are headed to the camp friday, I'm bringing Dad and my uncle will meet us there. Cousin is going and bringing his two kids, should be a fun week at the deer camp.
Thanks Keith! And you’re right, he would have been yuge next year. Seriously, always makes me wonder. Good luck this coming week, we’ll be at camp as well (not much reception) but keep me posted.
WOW that is awesome I'm so thrilled for you. I'm getting to live vicariously through your hunting and your story haha.
Maybe if I get lucky I can do some hog hunting over the holiday break. I did bag a squirrel today but I have a ton I'm trying to get rid of and it was in the new trap I bought so not really hunting haha. I hope that once I remove 10-12 of these suckers my house and property will stop being constantly chewed on and my wires can be fixed once and for all haha.
Ha! That’s hilarious, I have a bunch around me. They stalk me in the mornings and wait for me to go to work, then they bury their nuts in my pepper plants. It drives me berserk! Good luck hog hunting, I’ve never killed one. Hope to one day, just hope it’s not where I deer hunt. Fortunately hogs don’t swim well from what I gather.

wow, very nice of you to say Oberst! I have sacrificed a lot over the years, because of this obsession. It does indeed make it that much more special.

Thanks Keith! And you’re right, he would have been yuge next year. Seriously, always makes me wonder. Good luck this coming week, we’ll be at camp as well (not much reception) but keep me posted.

Ha! That’s hilarious, I have a bunch around me. They stalk me in the mornings and wait for me to go to work, then they bury their nuts in my pepper plants. It drives me berserk! Good luck hog hunting, I’ve never killed one. Hope to one day, just hope it’s not where I deer hunt. Fortunately hogs don’t swim well from what I gather.

I had to break down and buy the "Squirrelinator" repeating trap haha. If I had the hardware cloth I would have made one but the materials cost more than the trap. So far 2 days, 2 squirrels!
Wish I wasn't working so much or I'd skin and dress them and save them for some squirrel gumbo or cassolete but I've noticed them during the day and they were going nonstop in the cage. Didn't want to stress the animal leaving it in there running in circles all day so I've gotten rid of them when I've seen em which has been in mid of my work day.
There are still plenty more to be caught so I'm sure I'll get time to dress em out and store em for some type of good'ol cookin hahaha :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky