Goodbye Kingsford

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the_selling_blues_man

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Bristol, Indiana
I used lump charcoal (Royal Oak USA) for the first time today on a 8 lb Boston butt and 20 lbs of spare ribs. I have always used Kingsford in the past. Wow - the results were pretty amazing with the lump. I always had trouble getting the temperatures high enough with the Kingsford. With the lump, I had the dampers almost completely shut to keep it from getting too hot. Great heat, great taste, great results. I think I will be burning more lump in the future!

Welcome to the club blues man. Lump is the way to go. I'm in the same boat trying to keep my temps down. I have to close the fire box damper completely to keep it around 220 degrees. And your right, great flavor with just the RO lump. A chunk of wood every now and then and you're good to go.

Dave

Honestly? Every now and again, say every fifth smoke, I have trouble getting temps high enough with even lump. Lump isn't the "end-all, be-all", but it sure as hell is a step in the right direction.

Nice going on the switch from Kingsford to R.O.!!

I use lump in both grill and smoker. Every once in a while I cant find RO and end up buying B&B from Wally World. Don't Know much about the B&B other than claim of 100% hardwood. Seems OK. If anyone knows better let me know.

were you using kingsford lump or the briquets? kingsford also makes lump (hardwood) it is not to bad.. but from reading about lump royal oak is getting pretty much top of the line (the USA made one)

Did a 8lb butt yesterday, really like the lump. It was my first use with it. Only annoying thing was how often I had to add it. It seems to burn 3x faster than coals.

i just bought some lump and i'm ready to try it used kingsford for years buy it bulk. now richtee says temp 2x mayybe i wont i run 225* no vent with charcoal.

I got hold of a couple bags of RO briqs from ACE Hardware a while back. I like it much better that KingsFord, and it performs better in my drum than lump does.

Only thing that stinks is people up here seem to think grilling and smoking is a seasonal thing; no place local to get R.O. after July. The three closes Walmarts are out, all the local hardware shops are out, and none of the lumber yards carry it!!

How in the world will I get by till next spring with only 40lbs of lump???

kingsford sells lump now. even they know that the briquettes are crap. tried it out this weekend on a mini-q for tailgating. thumbs up

I was at Lowe's and low and behold I saw some Royal Oak on clearance. I was so happy I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Picked up 3-4 bags. When I got home I realized it was briquettes. I now have enough briquettes to last a lifetime.

I may have to go back and find some more of that Cowboy brand lump.

Used Comboy lump for my first 2 smokes and then just yesterday in the middle of smoking an 8 lb. butt I realized I was running out so I sent the wife to Giant Eagle and she got a bag of Kingsford lump. What a difference! The Kingsford was so much better than the Cowboy brand. I've read some posts where people say to stay away from Cowboy and now I know why. The Kingsford seemed to have much bigger pieces and therefore burned much longer and also it was much easier to regulate the temp. Smoking is so much more relaxing when you don't have to constantly worry about the temps. I highly recommend Kingsford Lump! I'd like to try Royal Oak but haven't been able to find any. But I'm more than satisfied with Kingsford!

I just now went out to the truck to check.Seems I did the same thing 2 days ago.Thats what I get for leaving those readers on the dash board.All I could read on the bag was Royal Oak,the biggest letters.They had Cowboy brand,I passed it up.This was going to be my first try w/Royal Oak.OOOPS.

do u guys grill with with royal oak also? for example. just doing a couple steaks, do u use the R.O. or go back to the traditional kingsford charcoal? just wonderin bc i have not tried the R.O. yet.

bbcharcoal.com it's 100% all wood lumps. they have oak and mesquite lump. we use mesquite at home and oak at the deer camp. funny because there are a zillion mesquite trees at camp, making for great grilling and comfort fires (when not under a burn ban). check them out, we really love the stuff.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky