Good Score-I think? Reverse Flow Build-Pic Heavy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gotoleep

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Fayetteville, NC
Not sure where this should go. I hope this is right.
A house across the street was for sale by the bank (owner died, no kids) cheap!! So I went over to look at it and found this cooker jammed in some overgrown bushes. Called the bank contact and he informed me of the purchased price as the house sold it's second day on the market (never even had a chance to put a sign up)!! I asked him about the cooker and he said take it if you want. So I did!! It's going to need a lot of work. And I am going to need lots of input from you all. A friend down the street has a welder ... and my cousin works in a welding shop and can get steel free or cheap. Although he lives 1.5 hours away, he will do what he can to help. All input is welcome!!!

Missing the left stack

Showing the rust inside

Gas connection on right side (looking at cooker)

Showing rust on bottom

Pull style. Amazingly the tires held air.

Back view. It is tilted due to the (guessing) addition of the front wheels. Have no clue what "BIA" means.

Showing more inside rust. A lot of it.

Showing the front view. It has a SS shelf in front that needs to be replaced.

Going to knock the rust off now and see what's underneath.
Thinking about keeping the gas connection, plus modding it to be a reverse flow with a firebox on the left side, if possible. And put it on a trailer. Lots of ideas (more of a wish list, I guess). This should be interesting!!

Nice score I would love to work on that!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

OK ... The news is not good? When i was grinding the bottom of the smoker, I was able to see the ground. Not good. I will need a arched plate approx. 28" across and 10" high. Not sure where to get this from. Maybe my cousin? We'll see.

Adding these pics to show the "rust through". Still trying to figure out where to go from here. Any ideas??

Not showing as well as I thought they would. But you can see in the middle of the bottom.So I figure the whole bottom is shot. ?????

That new favorite cousin may be able to lay a new piece right into the bottom of that thing congrats nice score

Hey GoToLeep, I have a solution to all your problems. I will be going to the VA Hospital before to long and I will go by your place and load it up and haul it off for you, at no charge. What do you think about this deal?
icon_lol.gif

If it's only the middle could you cut that part out hinge it and make it an ash trap door?......BIA....+ Back In Action.....
PDT_Armataz_01_11.gif

lvrgsp

Hey Bill, I was just going to tell you to come on
icon_lol.gif
icon_lol.gif
, but I have an Update ... My cousin has located a barrel the same size as "ole rusty" here. There is also a SS cooking rack, barrel hinges, and a couple of other items. All he had to do to get it was fix the guys (his BIL) 4-wheeler. His BIL was going to build a cooker but decided against it. He and I are going to be on the lookout for some 1/4" steel plate for the firebox and some plate for the reverse flow baffle. He is going to come down in a couple or 3 weekends so we can get to work on this. We can use the angle and flat iron off "ole rusty". IF we can get a hold of a trailer, we will go from there. We are also going to have a gas option. Firebox on right, Gas burner(s) coming in from the left. The burners will be mounted above the baffle. How far do you suggest? Will provide plenty of pics on the progress.

Bring on the ideas and suggestions!!!

Bumping with questions. Barrel is 50" x 30".

Firebox size 20"x20"x24"? Is 1/4" or 1/2" that important? Does it keep that much more heat in and last that much longer. I can find 1/4" easier and cheaper.

I'm thinking the firebox opening on the barrel needs to 10" (1/3 diameter)?

The reverse flow baffle/plate 4" off the bottom with 1/2 drop from the firebox side to the drain plug/dam side and made from 1/4" plate? One piece or 3 piece (1 1" angle and 2 plates)?

Baffle plate - How much space between the dam and the end of the chamber. 4" as well?

Stack 4" with damper. Where to buy or how to make.

Damper between the firebox and smoking chamber. How to make?

Thinking about possible warming/smoking box on top of the firebox. Need a damper. How? Also where does the smoke/heat exhaust?

OK ... that's enough for now.
icon_lol.gif

You might get lucky on your steel bottom issue, if you have a metal materials company within driving distance. They might be able to do a cold roll and shape your bottom for you. Then if there is just enough good metal left on the sides you can cut it out and weld the new piece in.

With a little elbow grease and some sweat you should have you a nice smoker on your hands. It still has good bones as they say on tv. Congats on the new smoker.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky