Gonna Try Doing a Coppa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I used almost all of the one I did on pizza . Awesome flavor .
I have 2 pork cushions curing now . Be ready for the umai bags this weekend .
Be watching to see a slice of yours .

Reactions: mr_whipple
Mine has been in a dry age bag in the fridge since 8/15/22. It went in at a weight of 1441 grams and is now at a weight of 1016 grams. It has a little bit to go, maybe another week or so I guess. It's target weight is 936 grams, according to the video on two guys an a cooler. I can't wait to try it out!

Looks like we're both close to the finish line!

Pulled it this morning. Getting that wrap off was a FPITA!!! Anyway, here's a shot of the whole and one sliced in half. There was a small indentation on one side of the muscle as you can see. I made sure the wrap was tight up against when I did it. Looks like it got a little dark around that side, but the one slice I did eat was pretty damn good and I couldn't tell by mouth feel if there was any issue with it being hard around the edge. Spice and flavor seem to be very well balanced. Nice heat without being overpowering. I followed that recipe to a T for the spices just to see.. Anyway, I vac sealed the two halves and will let them sit in the fridge till next weekend. I'm calling it a win, but I was not in love with getting that wrap off. If I ever do this again that will be the thing I want to change. Maybe those umai bags aren't such a pain?

Thanks for looking!

20220917_064747.jpg
20220917_064839.jpg

Next time, spritz the wrap with water then wrap in cellophane, let it sit for about 20-30 minutes....95% of it will come off easily then you can use a tooth brush for what is left on....Looks great! Good job!

Charcuterie done in the fridge with the permeable wraps will usually have that darker ring because of the lower temps. and lower humidity in the fridge. But an equalization like you are doing will help. Might take longer than a week though...closer to a month.

Charcuterie done in the fridge with the permeable wraps will usually have that darker ring because of the lower temps. and lower humidity in the fridge. But an equalization like you are doing will help. Might take longer than a week though...closer to a month.
I waited this long, whats another month? Maybe I'll pull one half this weekend and slice some up, then let the other ride for a few more weeks.

I am getting really close to the target weight loss I want to see. I put the meat in a dry wrap bag on 8/15 and now it is down from 1441 grams to 954 grams. I plan to keep it in the bag until it goes down to 936 grams. Maybe another half a week? Yours looks great Mr_whipple. I'll try spritzing it with water as indaswamp suggests when I'm taking the bag off.

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpg
    IMG_1079.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 9
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky