Gonna Try Doing a Coppa

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
So.... while I've never done this and really had no plans to, this is kind of off the cuff. I had seen another thread about doing this in the fridge, and after running into $.97/lb butts at Kroger I figured why not?

Watched a 2 guys and a cooler video Here and figured I could do this. Followed the recipe to a t.

According to the calculator in the recipe it came to a 3% eq brine with the following for ingredients:

1742 g coppa muscle
52.26 g kosher salt
26.3 g turbinado sugar
4.36 g black pepper (I used my standard peppercorn melange in my grinder)
3.83 g red pepper flakes
5.57 g cayenne
5.57 g calabrian hot powder chili
6.62 g garlic powder
5.57 g smoked paprika
My scale is only graduated down to .1 gram so we're as close to those measurements as I need to be.

I watched a video Here on properly removing the coppa from a butt. As you'll see in the pics, I didn't butcher my own pig so I was at the mercy of a prepackaged butt so it didn't look as pretty as his.

My first ever coppa removal.
20220730_102924.jpg

All rubbed up and ready for the vacuum bag.
20220730_111349.jpg

Vac sealed and into the fridge.
20220730_111747.jpg

According to the calculator they used for time to cure Here it came to 5.56 days at 3" and tubular shaped. They recommend to add 20% so that brings it to 6.68 days. I think rounding up to 7 days should be no problem. Maybe a bit longer would be ok as it's an equilibrium cure? The week actually works out so I can wrap it up next weekend, but I suppose I could do it any day during the week.

Once it's done in the vac seal, I bought the sausage makers dry age sheets so that's the plan for now. BTW, them suckers ain't cheap. Had I known I was only getting 2 sheets and the netting for $25 this may have never happened. I figured there were a few more than that, but I was probably drunk driving around on Amazon when I bought them.

Thanks for looking!

I have one that's almost at target weight .
I always use 14 days cure time for these types of things . I'm doing mine in a Umai bag .
Been in the fridge since 6/25 . Was in the cure 6/10 to 6/14 .

Reactions: mr_whipple
Good start! When you said brine, made me think you had this sitting in salt water....then I read down to find you are dry curing it in a vacuum bag. Cool....doing it right. Umai is a good process...you will still get the flavor from the protein and fat breakdown, but without the mold you won't get that cheesey funky depth of flavor on the product and the buttery, cashew like notes on the fat will be missing. But it will be better than what you can find at most grocery stores-that's for sure! One tip-don't put them on the top shelf directly under where the return air is blowing into the refrigerator.....

My first coppa was umai and I followed the same video....

Good start! When you said brine, made me think you had this sitting in salt water....then I read down to find you are dry curing it in a vacuum bag. Cool....doing it right. Umai is a good process...you will still get the flavor from the protein and fat breakdown, but without the mold you won't get that cheesey funky depth of flavor on the product and the buttery, cashew like notes on the fat will be missing. But it will be better than what you can find at most grocery stores-that's for sure! One tip-don't put them on the top shelf directly under where the return air is blowing into the refrigerator.....

My first coppa was umai and I followed the same video....
Gotcha!! Brine/Cure? I just type and words come out, but you understand. As I said, this is a purely off the cuff thing so hopefully it works out. Charcuterie is not the rabbit hole I'm looking for. I want to do smoked sausage... Kielbasa style etc, but that's a thread for another day.

Reactions: indaswamp
Off we go. I got very busy during the week and decided this was going to have to ride it out till today, making it 14 days in the cure. Oh boy did that thing smell good coming out of the vacuum bag! Being in the vac seal kind of flattened it a bit, but once I wrapped it and put it in the netting it shaped up a little. I'm hoping gravity rounds it out a little as it hangs. Guess we'll see.
Not the best pic... but hey, I'm not a photographer or a long list of other things.
Thanks for looking.

20220813_134016.jpg

The trussing is to get a more uniform shape for drying....if the piece is irregular, you will get some spots that are drier than others, but that can be fixed by removing the casing and vacsealing, then put back in the fridge to allow the moisture to equalize in the piece..

35% loss means this is gonna be in the fridge for a while.
Yup . I finally pulled mine out last week . Got to about 33% Then it just stopped . The outside got hard . So I cut the ends off and put it back in the bag for a couple days . I started mine just before you I think . June 10th .
You're right about the smell .
It's worth the wait . Taste is just fantastic .

1660424822539.jpeg
Made pizza with some last night . Fantastic .

I'm trying this too. I put the pork in the Brine Aug 2nd. I'll start the dry age process tomorrow. Good luck with yours. I'll be watching to see how long it takes to get the necessary weight loss. I'll share my results too. I saw on that website that Eric said it could take 8 weeks. :emoji_astonished:

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 4
To those that have done this I would like your input on how long you kept it in the Brine? Mine is still in the brine, I have not put in the dry age bag yet. On the video for this, Eric's link says to brine for a week but that seems to short to me. I put it in Aug 2nd. Should I leave it in longer or move on to the dry age stage?

Almost there.....I've weighed this a few times since hanging in the fridge and we're getting close. Total weight at the start was 1827 grams, making my target 1187 grams for 35%. 1300 on the dot a few minutes ago.

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky