Going to try cold smoking belly bacon: suggestions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I think he's referring to oversmoking. Like when I smoked a pork butt, i probably only got 2-3 hours of good smoke. The rest of the time was just low cooking basically. Over smoking can lead to bitterness, but maybe thats not the case for bacon??
Back in my younger days I had caused smoke bitterness in food when using way too much in a short period of time, clouds of it. I was also using wet hickory wood chips at the time and the combination was way overboard. I think by using good aged wood, or the AMNPS you get a better quality of dry smoke at a low rate per hour, the old TBS.

While I only smoke a butts for 3 hours, it's only because we like less smoke flavor and my wood chunks from last falls cuttings are not fully cured yet. They put out a fair amount of smoke even when wrapped in aluminum foil with a few small holes.

My assumption then is that a small amount of smoke over a long period of time is fine and much better than moderate or heavy smoke over a short period of time.      

I think he's referring to oversmoking. Like when I smoked a pork butt, i probably only got 2-3 hours of good smoke. The rest of the time was just low cooking basically. Over smoking can lead to bitterness, but maybe thats not the case for bacon??
Hi louballs,

I'm absolutely no expert, but I'm going to throw something out here.

It looks like you smoke with an electric smoker. Do you smoke using the chip box that came with your smoker?  If so, then I know that the electric smokers like the Smokin Tex and Smokin It models are designed to only have good smoke for the first hour or two, then the chips/chunks are burned up and you just finish up using the seasoning of your smoker. The smoke during that time is fairly heavy, and is definitely much heavier than you would see if you were using any of Todd's Amazen products for cold smoking (which just give a curl of thin blue smoke) in contrast to the heavier whiter smoker I at least see when using the chip box of my Smokin Tex. 

My 2 cents....

Clarissa

Back in my younger days I had caused smoke bitterness in food when using way too much in a short period of time, clouds of it. I was also using wet hickory wood chips at the time and the combination was way overboard. I think by using good aged wood, or the AMNPS you get a better quality of dry smoke at a low rate per hour, the old TBS.

While I only smoke a butts for 3 hours, it's only because we like less smoke flavor and my wood chunks from last falls cuttings are not fully cured yet. They put out a fair amount of smoke even when wrapped in aluminum foil with a few small holes.

My assumption then is that a small amount of smoke over a long period of time is fine and much better than moderate or heavy smoke over a short period of time.      
Exactly!

Bear

Hi louballs,

I'm absolutely no expert, but I'm going to throw something out here.

It looks like you smoke with an electric smoker. Do you smoke using the chip box that came with your smoker?  If so, then I know that the electric smokers like the Smokin Tex and Smokin It models are designed to only have good smoke for the first hour or two, then the chips/chunks are burned up and you just finish up using the seasoning of your smoker. The smoke during that time is fairly heavy, and is definitely much heavier than you would see if you were using any of Todd's Amazen products for cold smoking (which just give a curl of thin blue smoke) in contrast to the heavier whiter smoker I at least see when using the chip box of my Smokin Tex. 

My 2 cents....

Clarissa
Good point, I have only used my chip box and some good chunks. However, I just bought one of the 6x8s from Todd with some sawdust that im going to use for my bacon. Ill have to try using just the heating element and the amazen smoker with a constant smoke sometime just to see the difference.

So after reading all of the comments I cold smoked last saturday and sunday for a total of about 14-16 hours. I used my old little chief and put the rack on top of the smoker and covered the rack with the cardboard box the smoker came in. Since there was not enough room on the racks of my little chief I also smoked in my MES with the door ajar. I tried to keep the temp of the MES about 80 degrees but the temperature spiked up a couple of times. I also did the fry test before I smoked and the bacon was a little salty to my taste so I soaked in water overnight to remove salt. Before smoking I also brushed the bacon with pure maple syrup and on two of the six slabs I put some coarse pepper on it. I was pleased with the flavor especially the sweet maple flavor so I am glad I brushed with the maple syrup. I sliced and vaccum packed up enough bacon for a while (about 10-11 lbs total). Pics to come in the next couple of days. Thanks for all the help and I am hoping to improve on my bacon curing/smoking on my next attempts.

I prefer my Bacon warm smoked until the IT is between 110 to 128, but that is because I can get great flavor & color in less than 12 hours.

If you're going to truly cold smoke, you don't have to worry about the IT, but:

Make sure you get a good pellicle first.

Smoke it for at least 24 hours (very light smoke).

Like always, put it in the fridge (wrapped) for at least 36 hours before slicing.

Just my 2 Piasters,

Bear
Sorry, but does this mean that if you hot smoke it you don't need as much time to get the same flavor? What temp do you use?

Sorry, but does this mean that if you hot smoke it you don't need as much time to get the same flavor? What temp do you use?
After reading Bear's extra smoky bacon thread, this appears to be the case. 
Travis,

Sorry I missed this. I was just going to send you to that Smoke, but I see you were already there.

I don't hot smoke my Bacon----That would render the fat out.

I warm smoke my Belly Bacon, with Smoker temps between 120* and 140*. Takes less than half the time it takes to get good color & flavor as cold smoking. If I'm going to cold smoke, it will be at least 24 hours. I warm smoke for 12 or less hours.

Bear

Travis,

Sorry I missed this. I was just going to send you to that Smoke, but I see you were already there.

I warm smoke my Belly Bacon, with Smoker temps between 120* and 140*. Takes less than half the time it takes to get good color & flavor as cold smoking. If I'm going to cold smoke, it will be at least 24 hours. I warm smoke for 12 or less hours.

Bear
Thanks Bear. I plan to use the warm smoke method with my first belly bacon next weekend.

Travis,

Bear
Bear, I know this thread is several months old but I want to do bacon and cannot get my temps down low enough I do have an AMNPS to use and a domed grill that will house the smoke nicely. So I am planning a cold smoke.   After all my curing and resting in the fridge will it be safe to do an 18+ hour smoke here in California?  I'm still a bit confused on "curing".  I have everything that was listed as needed and ready to do my measuring etc. but I don't want to KILL anyone with pork that goes bad while I'm smoking it...I'm sorry I need some hand holding... :/

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky