Going propane on the OKJ

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I've got an old New Braunfels BD with gas ignition for the firebox.  Wondering if I couldn't reconfigure the burner assembly from a 1# bomb to a 20 # tank.  For those of you toddlers out there, # doesn't mean "hashtag".  # means "pound" or "number".  In this case, it means "pound".    
irony.gif

Good question....I do not have an answer for you on that. But I don't see why not. Try it! Get a cast iron pan to smolder the wood and cover it with foil and a hole to vent. Should work if you can get it going. But this saves me money and time.

Used my H burner in my OK Joe yesterday and smoked two Butts. I have to say they were the best ones I've turned out yet. Also the easiest smoke I've ever done. Nice light smoke and no temp spikes and rapid recovery after opening the cook chamber all add up to a quality job. To top it off, Ed, the owner of the company is great to deal with. Talked to him on Sunday evening and had it on my door step on Wednesday.

My ribs were some of the best ever. Could not get over how well made it is. I mean this burner is one hell of a custom made kit. Smoke is so easy to manage and it turns a crappy unit like the OKJ into one that can hold its own against a Yoder and Horizon. Best 79 bucks I have spent this year. And oh yeah....fuel consumption is freaking low!!! I mean a 15 pound bag of Apple will only need mabee 7 pounds of chunks for the 13 plus hours. And even then if you canister them, you have free charcoal. Double your money?!?! You bet!!

Last edited:
Well if you have a large enough canister I am sure it would be fine.
Large enough canister to put the splits in? 

I may be confused about what this actually is. It looks, from the video above, like a metal grate heated by a propane burner built into the assembly. Am I wrong?

If I'm right couldn't the splits just be put directly on the grate to start smoke?

Last edited:
They would just catch on fire and ashes would accumulate in and around the burner. The instructions actually advise against this practice.

Last edited:
In pursuit of perfect smoke I tried a lot of different combinations and I think I've finally got it.
Using my H burner for heat and my A-Maze-N Products 12" smoke tube mounted outside the firebox I can get a solid 4 hours of perfect Thin Blue Smoke.
A little foil over the end of the intake on the tube slows the airflow to the pellets and keeps them smoldering nice and slow.
I pushed a piece of 3" dryer vent into a soup can, perfect snug fit, then used a hole saw to drill a hole thru the bottom of the soup can for a 1" close nipple with lock nuts on each side.
[ATTACHMENT=2979]image.jpeg (1,392k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=2980]image.jpeg (1,567k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=2981]image.jpeg (1,371k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=2982]image.jpeg (1,297k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
[ATTACHMENT=2983]image.jpeg (1,030k. jpeg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

I have been using chunks on a small cast iron pan covered with foil and single hole getting the same effect as long as I don't put the pan directly on the fire and use a small end of it.I still love this burner though....I am looking forward to trying one on a bullet style. I have it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky