Getting Ready! (Pork Butt on the Stick Burner)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

D.W.

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 13, 2018
No gathering at my place is small by any means. Hosting the 4th, and with a portion of immediate family on my side I'm looking at ~43ish eaters (some young'ens don't have teeth yet). So I got two 7lb butts Q'd up today. House made rub with all the hobo spices and an injection of a mix of AJ, ACV, Worcestershire sauce, and Kentucky Smooth - I use this same mix for my spritz.

20200702_074739.jpg

Get the fire going on the offset using kangsfurd as a starter then 90% oak and 10% cherry. Cooked around 240F. Ready for first spritz after 1hr.
20200702_092418.jpg

Spritzed every 30-40 minutes thereafter. Here we are checking temp for first time at 3hrs, read about 130F

20200702_112752.jpg

While I continued to cook I got the side yard all cleared of junk with a local hauler and then swept it all up. Also cleaned the pergola of all the cobwebs and debris.

20200702_180221.jpg

20200702_180313.jpg

Backyard in renovation mode.

Continued to smoke for 3 more hours for a total of 6hrs until desired color. I then double wrapped in foil and cranked the heat to 325F - took another 2hrs to get it to probe room temp butter soft for both - IT was at 208F.

20200702_162916.jpg

20200702_162551.jpg

I picked at a bunch before pulling the bone, I couldn't wait... :emoji_cry:

All ready for Saturday. End result was fantastic, thank you for looking and for experiencing part of my days events. More to come for this weekend.

20200702_185519.jpg

What's not to like? Butts on the offset, smoking by the pool, yard all tidy, just a beautiful piece of work, Like! Enjoy your 4th, you deserve it. RAY

Reactions: D.W.
What's not to like? Butts on the offset, smoking by the pool, yard all tidy, just a beautiful piece of work, Like! Enjoy your 4th, you deserve it. RAY
Thank you, I appreciate that Ray! Hope you enjoy yours too.

-Joe

Looks amazing!

First time in years I'm not doing a pork butt for the 4th. Had a brisket in the freezer so decided why not put some extra stress on myself lol. Waking up around 4:30 tomorrow morning to get it going.

Wow! Them pork butts look good!
That pool you have looks soo nice right now! As I type this , it is 7:00am and the temperature outside is already in the 70’s and humid!
Anyway, have a safe and great holiday weekend!

Wow! Them pork butts look good!
That pool you have looks soo nice right now! As I type this , it is 7:00am and the temperature outside is already in the 70’s and humid!
Anyway, have a safe and great holiday weekend!
One thing we don't get is the humidity! Dealt with that several years back, and I'm not sure I could ever move to a place again with high humidity. Thanks for the kind words.

Looks amazing!

First time in years I'm not doing a pork butt for the 4th. Had a brisket in the freezer so decided why not put some extra stress on myself lol. Waking up around 4:30 tomorrow morning to get it going.
Never tortured myself like that but I've done things like ribs, chicken, etc. the day of the fourth. Now I just smoke up a bunch of brats, hot dogs, and burgers the day of since the pulled pork does so well reheating on the Q. Hope you enjoy your time cooking, and get to relax a little for the holiday.

Looks Great, DW !!
Also looks like "Neatness Counts".
Have a Great & Safe 4th!!
Like.

Bear

Wow you done went and did er up right. Nice cook and pics. Congratulations on the ride

looks good to me......I could take down a plate of that with a cold adult beverage next to the pool.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky