getting higher temps on an OTG

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokymcsmokster

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
so i just got a OTG and i can only get up to around the 450 degree range, how can i get it at a higher temp? I'm using lump and all vents wide open 

Hello.  OTG has me lost.  I am not exactly sure why you want higher temps but that doesn't matter.  Maybe you are making horseshoes.  And THAT is how to get there.  Forget the lump.  Use REALLY good quality briquettes ( think Aussie heat beads ).  Other option is to build a large hardwood log fire on the ground on in another container, then add REALLY large charcoal logs to the grill.  Which ever method you chose, force air into the smoker.  Just like a blacksmiths' forge.  I don't think any BBQ product on the market goes over 450 temp so this may have to be a build it project.  Controllers, computer fans and such or maybe just a fan blowing air to the smoker vents.  3-4 kilos with forced air should get you there.  Be sure to use proper safety equipment!  Welding gloves, HIGH TEMP face shield ( not the cheap plastic grinding face shield. it will melt. ) Protective clothing ( preferably welding/blacksmith leathers.  Move quickly, that leather gets hot quickly ). LONG handled tools to transfer the hot coals.   Good luck.  Keep ???

Danny

Don't understand what an OTG is?

A little info on your profile as to your general location would be helpful?

How and where are you measuring your temps?

What kind of unit are you using?

What does 450 degrees not do for you?

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
One Touch Gold. OTG.

As in Weber One Touch Gold.

I can easily get over 500°( the highest that the thermometer I added registers) using 2 fully lit chimneys of lump charcoal in my OTG.

BTW ceramic cookers such as the BGE are made to perform at very high temps and can easily get to the 700° range with lump charcoal.

Thanks for the help on OTG.

I use the hand method on the Weber?

I do lots of grilling with 3/4 to 1 chimney of Kingsford Blue on a 22.5 unit.

I see there is a built in therm on this unit.

I have to wonder if the temps on that therm are correct or required for grilling?

Speaking with Weber experience, but no experience with the One Touch Gold?

But whatever?

Hope it works out well for him!

Good luck and good smoking.

Last edited:
If you want more heat, load more fuel.  60 burning briquettes will generate more heat than 30 of them will.  Opening up the bottom and top damper vents will get the most heat out of whatever coals are burning.

One Touch Gold!!!   
hit.gif
  Add that one to the list.

Danny

i will try adding more fuel, i want to get as high temperature as possible to sear a steak nice and good and not to have to spend 1500 in canada for a BGE :P

i will try adding more fuel, i want to get as high temperature as possible to sear a steak nice and good and not to have to spend 1500 in canada for a BGE :P
More fuel works. 

Also... might try moving the coals closer to the cooking grate. Put some bricks under the coal grate to move it higher... OR maybe invert a pan or something to get the coals closer to the steak. I can get mine way over 450... probably closer to 700 using these methods... 

For a super hot steak sear, just put a grate on top of your chimney. If it'll fit, you can do it under the chimney as well and have no flare ups.

Another option is to use good quality lump and cowboy it....put the steak right on the coals.

...and yes, the techniques were lifted directly from Alton.

Your sear can also be enhanced by purchasing one of the available cast iron grill surfaces.  A couple different companies produce them for weber grills (which includes all the kettles); some with nice extra features.  Even at 450 degrees, they transfer a massive amount of heat to the meat and hasten the sear. 

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky