General KCBS Competition Questions for a Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

q daddy

Original poster
Feb 15, 2014
Looking to enter my first KCBS event this year. Just had a couple general questions.

I see on the KCBS Rules and Regulations that judging "typically" starts at Noon with Chicken then, Ribs at 12:30, Pork at 1:00 and Brisket at 1:30. However, when are you allowed to start? Is this a standard time for everyone or just once meat is inspected by the Official Meat Inspector?

On that subject, I'm assuming the meat is inspected on the morning of the competition since the KCBS Rules and Regulations state "not prior to the day before judging", and I see that meat must be "raw" so... are you not allowed to inject, marinade or rub the meat until inspected?

Any other newbie tips or suggestions you could offer would be much appriciated.

All of the contests i have been to followed the same turn in times mentioned . You may trim the meat prior to meat inspection but you must wait till it is inspected to do any seasoning at all. I try to get the meat inspected as soon as i arrive . There is much to do on move in day. You can save time at the contest by doing the meat prep the night before in your home kitchen.Have a good time and let us know how it turns out for you. Pkerchef

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky